New York City Emergency Room Error Lawyer
Millions of people are treated in emergency rooms each year. The emergency departments in New York City, NY, are always busy, handling everything from car accidents and gunshot wounds to broken bones and heart attacks.
However, what happens when a patient is injured because of an emergency room error? Who is responsible for the damages sustained by the patient?
Our New York City emergency room error lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. handle medical malpractice cases, including cases involving emergency room negligence. We have over 40 years of experience handling medical malpractice claims in New York City, New York.
Contact us today for a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. Learn about your legal rights and take steps to protect your best interests during your initial consultation.
Table of Contents
How Our New York City Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You’ve Been Injured by an Emergency Room Error
Our NYC personal injury attorneys work to prove that you are entitled to full compensation for all damages. We fight insurance companies for fair settlements and file lawsuits when they fail to negotiate in good faith.
Our medical malpractice attorneys in New York City, New York, do not give up until we examine and investigate each aspect of your case.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Perform an exhaustive investigation into what happened to you, including hiring medical experts to assist in the investigation
- Determine whether the medical care you received met the standard of care required for your situation
- Identify the doctors, nurses, and other medical staff members who were responsible for the emergency room error
- File all insurance claims and lawsuits
- Document your damages and calculate the maximum value for your claims
- Aggressively fight to get you the best settlement possible for your injuries
- Provide updates and guidance throughout your case
We have over four decades of combined experience handling medical malpractice cases in New York City. Contact our law firm now to request a free consultation with a New York City emergency room error attorney who can help you.
How Common Are Emergency Room Errors?
Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States.
Unfortunately, many of those medical errors are committed by medical professionals in emergency rooms. On average, 130 million people visit emergency rooms each year.
An estimated one in 100,000 emergency room visits results in a medical malpractice case.
Overview of Emergency Room Errors
Most emergency departments are understaffed. The doctors, nurses, and staff members are overworked and exhausted. The emergency rooms are overcrowded because there are not enough staff members to care for the high number of patients admitted each day.
Sadly, these circumstances can often lead to emergency room errors that cause severe harm and life-threatening injuries to patients.
What Are Common Causes of Emergency Room Errors?
There are numerous reasons why emergency room errors occur.
Some of the most common causes of errors in the emergency room include:
- Failure to diagnose injuries and illnesses
- Lack of training of medical professionals
- Understaffing and failure to follow procedures
- Failing to obtain a patient’s medical history
- Performing the wrong procedure
- Failing to order diagnostic tests or interpreting diagnostic tests incorrectly
- Failing to provide prompt medical care
- Lack of communication between doctors and other medical providers
- Failing to refer a patient to a specialist or consult a specialist
- Medication errors
The above examples are not a complete list of all medical errors that occur in emergency rooms. There are many more emergency room errors that result in injuries and wrongful deaths.
Common Types of Injuries Caused by Emergency Room Errors
The types of injuries caused by emergency room errors vary from minor injuries to significant harm.
Our emergency room error lawyers handle cases involving all types and levels of injuries caused by emergency department medical errors.
Common injuries caused by emergency room mistakes include:
- Traumatic brain damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Heart attacks, strokes, and seizures
- Nerve damage and soft tissue injuries
- Loss of body parts or amputations
- Loss of bodily functions
- Damage to internal organs
- Incorrect or unnecessary surgical procedures or diagnostic tests
Some errors or mistakes in the emergency room may not result in permanent damage. However, there are scenarios in which a patient might develop a permanent impairment. In other cases, a patient may even die from injuries caused by emergency room errors.
Who is Liable for an Emergency Room Error?
The medical professional responsible for the error can be financially liable for the patient’s damages. Moreover, the hospital, diagnostic labs, and other providers could also be liable if they played a role in the patient’s injuries or harm.
Our New York City medical malpractice lawyers carefully review each piece of evidence in your case to identify all parties that may be liable for your damages.
Damages in a medical malpractice case for emergency room errors include:
- The cost of medical treatment and personal care
- Financial losses from missing time from work
- Pain and suffering damages, including emotional, physical, and mental suffering
- Loss of quality of life or enjoyment of life
- Permanent impairments, scarring, disabilities, and disfigurement
The value of your medical malpractice claim depends on the facts of your case. Cases involving more severe injuries or permanent impairments tend to have higher values. Our legal team carefully documents your damages to maximize your personal injury claim’s value.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our New York Emergency Room Error Lawyers
Have you been injured in an emergency room? If so, we want to help. Contact our New York emergency room error lawyers for a free consultation to discuss your case.