New York City Medication Error Lawyer
A medication error can cause severe injuries and life-threatening conditions. Unfortunately, medication errors occur more often than most people realize. What should you do if you are the victim of a medication error in New York City, NY?
Contact the New York City medication error lawyers with Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. Our lawyers have more than 40 years of experience representing injury victims, including medical malpractice cases.
Contact our law firm now to schedule your free consultation with a New York City personal injury attorney to discuss your case involving medical negligence.
Table of Contents
How Our New York City Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You’ve Been Injured Because of a Medication Error
Our personal injury lawyers in New York City, New York, have substantial expertise in handling injury claims.
Our lawyers have acquired significant experience, skills, and resources in over four decades of representing injury victims.
Indeed, Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. has achieved an AVVO Rating of 10. Our lawyers have also earned membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers. We use every strategy available to fight for your right to maximum compensation for your injuries.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Provide a thorough analysis of your case and an honest assessment of your legal options
- Provide compassionate guidance and support during all phases of your personal injury case
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation to determine how you were injured and who is responsible
- Retain medical experts to assist in the investigation
- File insurance claims and handle the negotiation process with insurance companies
- Fight for the maximum amount of compensation available for your claim
- File a personal injury lawsuit and represent you in court
When you need legal advice, you can trust that we will give you an honest evaluation. Contact our law office to request your free case review with a New York City personal injury attorney.
How Common Are Medication Errors?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) receives over 100,000 reports of alleged medication errors each year. It is estimated that between 7,000 to 9,000 people die annually from medication errors. In addition to the deaths caused by medication errors, many people suffer painful side effects and illnesses from these errors.
Overview of Medication Errors
Medication errors occur for many reasons. Unfortunately, patients are the ones who suffer when medical professionals make mistakes. Medical malpractice laws in New York give patients a legal route to hold medical providers financially liable for damages caused by medication errors.
What Are Common Causes of a Medication Error?
Negligence is the most common cause of medication errors.
Physicians and other medical providers may be inattentive or fail to perform their duty of care.
Common reasons for medication errors include:
- Lack of communication between doctors and medical staff
- Failure to communicate with patients
- Mistakes made by pharmacies when filling prescriptions
- Nurses giving patients the wrong medication or the incorrect dose of medication
- Doctors failing to obtain a complete patient history before prescribing medication
- Mistaking medications that have similar names or spellings
- Failing to check for interactions with other medications
- Doctors prescribe the wrong medication or the wrong dosage
- Medical providers working under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Overworked, stressed, and fatigued health care workers
An investigation into the cause of the mistake helps personal injury attorneys identify those responsible for any injuries caused by the medication mistake.
Common Types of Injuries Caused by Medication Errors
When a patient is given the wrong medication, the patient may experience severe side effects. In some cases, patients could develop permanent impairments due to a medication error.
Examples of injuries that a patient might sustain from a medication mistake include:
- Liver damage
- Brain damage
- Kidney failure
- Permanent hair loss
- Heart attacks
- And many other conditions
In the most severe cases of medication errors, a patient could die. Family members may have a wrongful death claim against the doctor and other parties. Patients who survive an error could sustain irreversible harm because of medical negligence.
Who is Liable for a Medication Error?
The party who prescribed the wrong medication can be liable for damages caused by the error.
Parties that might be named defendants in a medical malpractice lawsuit include doctors, pharmacists, nurses, and medical facilities.
To prove that a medical provider is guilty of malpractice, you must establish that the provider owed you a duty of care. The provider must have breached the duty of care by deviating from the standard of care they were supposed to provide or committing intentional wrongdoing.
If you can prove that the provider’s breach of duty was a direct cause of your injury and damages, you may recover compensation. These damages might include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, permanent impairments, and other damages. An NYC medication error attorney can help document damages and work to get you the maximum value for your medical malpractice claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our NYC Medical Malpractice Law Firm
Our medical malpractice attorney will work to get you the best possible outcome for your case. Contact our office to schedule your free consultation with a New York City medication error lawyer to discuss your case in detail.