New York City Brain Injury Lawyer
The brain impacts the body’s mobility and much of its function–and, of course, your mental abilities. Brain injury victims are often overwhelmed by the possible consequences of these serious injuries. A personal injury lawyer can help you understand what to expect and fight to get fair compensation from whoever caused your accident.
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we have been helping brain injury victims for more than 40 years. We work hard so that our clients don’t have to suffer the financial consequences of someone else’s mistake. That hard work pays off–we have already recovered millions of dollars for satisfied clients across NYC.
To learn more about how an experienced NYC brain injury lawyer can help in your case, call (212) 514-5007 for a free consultation today.
Let Our Experienced Brain Injury Lawyers Fight to Get You Fair Compensation
Even a “mild” brain injury can result in years of rehabilitation and therapy. The cost of medical care and ongoing–potentially lifelong–treatment can be staggering. The impact on your cognitive and physical abilities can also change your life forever.
Health insurance only goes so far. Most brain injury victims and their families need help making ends meet after a serious accident. You have every right to expect that the person who caused your accident will shoulder the financial burden. The insurance company, however, might have a different idea.
Insurance companies are known to fight back when it comes to brain injury claims. You might not know how to react. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., our New York City personal injury lawyers know how to stand up to these companies so that you can get the fair compensation you need.
How We Build Your Brain Injury Claim
Attorney advertising can be deceiving. You need a lawyer who actually has specialized experience handling brain injury cases in NYC.
Our lawyers begin developing your claim by conducting a full investigation of your accident, whether it was a car accident, slip and fall accident or sports accident. That helps us build a claim that will hold up in court (even if you never see the inside of a courtroom). Our lawyers will:
- Locate and review police and accident reports
- Find hard evidence, including scientific evidence, video surveillance of the accident scene and photos taken at the scene
- Interview witnesses
- Work with your doctors and medical experts to make sure your claim is fairly valued
- Work with financial experts to estimate the anticipated future costs you will incur
- Negotiate fiercely on your behalf with the insurance companies and defense lawyers hired to diminish the value of your claim
Even if we expect to settle out of court, we always build a case strong enough for the courtroom. The insurance companies in the area know our reputation. These businesses are much more likely to negotiate fairly because they know we won’t back down until we get the best results possible for you.
If you were hurt in an accident, call our NYC brain injury lawyers today. We represent brain injury victims across the NYC area, including on Staten Island and Long Island.
NYC Brain Injury Statistics
A New York study on brain injury cases found that more than 500 people suffer brain injuries every single day in New York State alone. In the United States as a whole, someone suffers a brain injury every ten seconds. CDC data shows that between 80,000 and 90,000 people will experience long-term disability caused by brain injuries each year.
Many of these injuries are sports-related. Bicycling, football, baseball, and basketball cause the highest number of sports-related brain injuries each year.
Common Causes of Brain Injuries
Although many brain injuries are often sustained while playing sports, athletics is actually not the leading cause of brain injuries in New York. Common causes of brain injuries include:
- Fall accidents
- Accidents where the victim is struck by an object
- Other types of slip and fall accidents
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Medical malpractice
Many brain injury cases stem from work accidents. Construction workers are particularly vulnerable to sustaining a brain injury in falls from scaffolding, a ladder or roof. Construction workers on the ground are often struck by debris and equipment falling from heights.
Our experienced traumatic brain injury lawyers are here to help regardless of how you were hurt.
Types of Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) can be devastating to the victim. There are a number of different types of brain injuries, although most brain injuries are classified according to whether the skull was penetrated. Examples of brain injury cases we handle involve:
- Concussions. A concussion, or closed-head injury, happens when the brain is jolted back and forth within the skull. Many concussion victims lose consciousness but recover with time. In other cases, the damage may be much more extensive.
- Birth injuries. Some brain injuries happen at birth. While some might be unpreventable, others are caused by medical malpractice–when a doctor’s mistake harms your baby before even entering the world.
- Stroke. Doctors know how to recognize and treat stroke victims–and they know how important it is to act quickly. If your doctor failed to properly treat your stroke, that mistake might amount to medical negligence.
- Penetrating brain injuries. As the name suggests, a penetrating brain injury happens when a foreign object pierces the skull. Surgery will usually be required to correct the damage, but in some cases, the injury can be permanent.
A brain injury should never be taken lightly. Even if you have only suffered a mild concussion in an accident, the effects can be much more extensive than you initially realize. It’s always important to follow doctor’s orders and remain alert to signs that your condition is worsening.
Warning Signs that You Have Suffered a Brain Injury
Penetrating, or open, brain injuries are difficult to miss. The signs of a closed head injury can be much more subtle. In fact, many accident victims don’t realize they have suffered a brain injury for days or weeks after the accident.
If you have a brain injury, you might experience:
- Memory loss
- Tingling in your hands, feet, arms or legs
- Nausea or vomiting
- Mood swings
Watching for the potential signs of a brain injury can be key to getting the medical attention you need–when you need it most.
Consequences of a Serious Brain Injury
The brain controls most of the rest of the body. If you suffer a serious brain injury, that injury could cause you to experience physical and mental injuries. The consequences of a brain injury usually depend upon which part of the brain is injured.
Brain injury victims often suffer:
- Paralysis in part of the body
- Muscle weakness
- Short or long-term memory loss
- Personality changes
- Cognitive disabilities, including difficulty thinking or reasoning
- Seizure disorders
- Vision loss or sensitivity to light
- Speech loss
- Wrongful death
Brain injuries always have the potential to be serious, if not fatal. If you have suffered a brain injury, don’t wait to call the experienced brain injury attorneys at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. Our legal team can begin evaluating your case before you have even been released from the hospital.
New York Statute of Limitations for Brain Injury Lawsuits
Preserving your right to compensation is especially important in brain injury cases, where the injury could impact every aspect of your life.
To file a personal injury lawsuit, New York state law only gives you three years from the date of the accident. If your brain injury was caused by medical malpractice, a shorter 30-month (2.5 year) statute of limitations applies.
Missing the statute of limitations is serious. You can lose your right to all financial compensation if your lawsuit isn’t filed in time. To get started, call our personal injury law firm for help today.
We Fight to Get Fair Compensation for NYC Brain Injury Victims
Fair compensation for a brain injury caused by someone else’s negligence may include money for lost wages while you recover, as well as all of your treatment costs, including:
- Medical bills
- Future medical treatment
- The expense of in-home help
- Modifications to your home
- The cost of around-the-clock supervised care
- Physical therapy
- Speech therapy
Victims of serious brain injuries may never go on to live the life they enjoyed prior to the accident. A fair compensation award also holds the responsible party accountable for these damages, which can include:
- Loss of your earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional distress
- Damages for wrongful death
It’s important not to estimate the potential cost of a brain injury. It’s also important to avoid rushing to reach a settlement before a lawyer has evaluated your case.
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we have relationships with respected medical, scientific and financial experts who can help fairly value your case. We will work closely with you to help you understand the possible long-term costs you might incur–and will fight tirelessly to get fair verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Call a Trusted New York City Brain Injury Lawyer for a Free Case Review Today
Brain injuries are some of the most serious injuries that can result from an accident. As the victim, you and your family members have enough to worry about. Let an experienced NYC brain injury lawyer take some of the financial stress off your plate.
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we are always here to help. Call our law firm today to schedule a completely free case review with a respected NYC brain injury lawyer.
Our personal injury law firm in NYC, NY also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in NYC, NY
- Aviation Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in New York City, NY
- Car Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Nerve Damage Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in New York, NY
- Premises Liability Attorneys in New York, NY
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Manhattan, NY
- Uber Accident Attorneys in New York, NY
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in NYC, NY