New York City Dog Bite Lawyer
If you or a loved one were hurt by a dog bite, make sure to protect your legal rights by speaking with an experienced NYC dog bite lawyer. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we have over 40 years of experience protecting injured clients’ right to fair compensation. We don’t back down from a fight and are here to help you get the money you deserve.
Table of Contents
Why it’s Important to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer After a Dog Bite in New York City
When you or your child have been hurt, the last thing you want to worry about is a legal battle. Unfortunately, even if someone’s dog was obviously to blame, you could face an uphill battle when it comes to getting the money you deserve.
A lawyer who knows the legal system can be key to moving on with your life. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we will help you navigate the legal system and work tirelessly to successfully resolve your injury claim.
When you hire us, our NYC personal injury attorneys will:
- Investigate the dog’s history of viciousness
- Speak with eyewitnesses who can testify to the dog’s previous behavior
- Analyze the dog owner’s behavior to find out whether proper precautions were taken to keep the dog under control
- Work with medical experts to put a fair value on the cost of your injuries
- Negotiate with insurance companies who often try to drive down the value of the claim by putting the blame on you or even your child
Understanding New York dog bite laws can be complex enough. When insurance companies get involved, the process of getting compensation can be even more challenging. The insurance company will almost always put up a fight even if they know you deserve compensation.
If you or your child were injured by a dog bite, schedule a free consultation today. Taking the first step to protect your legal rights is as simple as a single phone call.
How Common Are Dog Bites in NYC?
According to a recent study, more than 500,000 dogs call New York City home. Most of these dogs pose no danger to anyone in the city. However, according to the CDC, there are about 4.5 million dog bite victims in the United States every year–highlighting the fact that dog bites really are quite common.
A health department study released in 2017 identified 6,373 NYC emergency room visits related to dog bites in 2014 alone. The total costs of these and other hospitalization charges exceeded $17 million for the year. In the most serious cases, dog bite injuries can even be fatal.
Children under the age of 17 were far more likely to visit the hospital for dog bite injuries than adults. On a national scale, dog bites are a leading cause of non-fatal injuries in children each year. This makes sense, because kids often don’t understand that dogs are, at their core, animals who can react unexpectedly.
Understanding New York’s Dog Bite Laws
Dogs might be man’s best friend, but that doesn’t mean they can’t become dangerous when they attack. Dog bite injuries can be serious–and dog owners are responsible for their pet’s behavior.
Most states either impose strict liability for dog bites or have a “one bite” rule. New York state takes a mixed approach–and New York City imposes its own rules, including a leash law that requires dog owners to keep their pets restrained.
Strict Liability vs. Negligence in Dog Bite Cases
If a dog bites you in New York, the owner of the dangerous dog can be held strictly liable for your medical bills. That means you don’t have to show that the owner was somehow careless to get money to cover your medical care. A “dangerous dog” is one that:
- Attacked and injured or killed a person, pet or farm animal without justification, or
- Behaves in a way that would cause a reasonable person to believe the dog poses a “serious and unjustified” risk of serious injury or death
However, under New York dog bite laws, you can only recover additional damages under certain circumstances. You might be able to recover compensation above and beyond medical expenses if:
- The owner was negligent in controlling the dog, and that caused the dog bite to happen
- The owner knew, or reasonably should have known, that the dog was dangerous and had a history of acting viciously
There are many ways to establish that the owner should have known about a dog’s vicious tendencies. New York courts consider evidence including:
- Fighting with other dogs or animals
- Past instances where the dog has growled or bared teeth
- Whether the owner has had to resort to using a muzzle
- Any previous complaints about the dog
Proving liability in dog bite cases can be difficult, especially if no one witnessed the attack. Our lawyers are here to get to the bottom of what happened in your case.
Is There a “One Bite” Rule in New York?
A “one bite” rule is a rule that gives every dog one “free bite” before the dog is considered dangerous. There is no true “one bite” rule in New York City. Instead, a previous bite or attack can be used as evidence that the owner knew the dog was dangerous.
We Fight for Victims of Serious Dog Bite Injuries in New York, NY
Dog bite injuries can be much more extensive than the wound itself. When a dog attacks, the dog might knock the victim down, causing serious injuries–especially if the victim is a small child.
In other cases, the dog bite wound itself can become infected and the victim may be forced to undergo extensive and painful treatment.
We help dog bite victims suffering from all types of injuries, including:
- Brain injuries and concussions
- Cuts and lacerations
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Crush injuries
- Puncture wounds
- Soft tissue damage
- Loss of limbs
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death
We know that recovering from any injury can be emotionally and physically trying. If you’re struggling and want to learn more, our lawyers are available to come to you in the hospital or your home. Call us today to arrange a free consultation to discuss options in your case.
Who Can Be Held Liable for Dog Bite Injuries?
While the owner of a dangerous dog can usually be held responsible, sometimes other parties might share in the blame. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., our premises liability lawyers put in the work necessary to find out who could have prevented the dog bite. That might include:
- Dog walkers
- Pet sitters
- Property owners
- The dog’s owner
Because New York shared fault rules allow victims to pursue compensation from multiple parties who contributed to the accident, it’s possible that more than one party may owe you compensation.
Our lawyers work to identify every source of compensation so that we can fight for the money you need.
Time is Limited to Act
We know that it can be difficult to act quickly when you or your loved one are hurt. It’s also necessary to act fairly quickly to preserve your right to damages.
New York personal injury law only gives you three years from the date of the dog bite to file a personal injury lawsuit. Once three years have passed, you lose your right to compensation.
To get the process started, all you have to do is call for our legal advice. Our lawyers will make sure that your claim is filed in time to protect your rights.
How Much is My Dog Bite Claim Worth?
Every personal injury case is different. Valuation can be complicated, but you should have the right to be made “whole” again.
In addition to medical expenses, dog bite victims have the right to recover the same types of compensation available to any other personal injury victim if they can show the dog owner was negligent. That might include money for:
- Future medical treatment
- Plastic surgery or reconstructive surgery
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Nursing care
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional distress or PTSD
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Damages for wrongful death
It isn’t always easy to get the full amount you’re entitled to receive after an injury. Our lawyers have been doing this for a long time–and we have relationships with respected experts who can offer solid evidence about the value of your claim.
To learn more about how we can put these and other resources to work for you, call our law firm today.
Call a Respected NYC Dog Bite Lawyer for a Free Consultation Today
Having an experienced personal injury attorney in your corner increases your odds of getting fair compensation. If you or a loved one are one of the many people who are bitten by dogs every year, call a skilled NYC dog bite lawyer at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. today. You can also give us your contact information and we’ll get back to you.
Your consultation is 100% free and our lawyers are here to serve clients in all five NYC boroughs.
Visit Our Law Office In Manhattan, NY
Our personal injury law firm in NYC, NY also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in NYC, NY
- Aviation Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in New York City, NY
- Car Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Nerve Damage Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in New York, NY
- Premises Liability Attorneys in New York, NY
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Manhattan, NY
- Uber Accident Attorneys in New York, NY
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in NYC, NY