New York City Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Have you or a loved one suffered extreme physical, mental, and financial hardship from a catastrophic injury due to the negligence of someone else? You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses in a personal injury or wrongful death claim.
The experienced and knowledgeable NYC catastrophic injury attorneys at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. have recovered millions of dollars for people who have suffered severe and permanent injuries.
Contact us to discuss your case with a lawyer today.
How a New York City Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You Seek Damages For a Catastrophic Injury
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we are not your average NYC personal injury law firm.
Our lawyers are aggressive advocates with a long record of successful verdicts and settlements and have a long-standing record of satisfied client reviews.
We have been representing New Yorkers in personal injury and wrongful death litigation for more than 40 years. We have dedicated our practice to helping people who have been harmed by the negligence of others, including individuals, corporations, and government agencies.
Here’s why you should call our NYC personal injury lawyers, for assistance in a catastrophic injury claim:
- We will help you navigate all aspects of your claim from initial consultation to settlement verdict, keeping you updated on the status of your case at all times.
- We will consult with top personal injury experts, including medical specialists, forensic consultants, accident reconstructionists, and engineers.
- We will defend you against attempts and efforts by insurance companies and others to blame you for your own injuries.
- We will negotiate the maximum compensation available – every dollar you deserve – for your claim. If the at-fault party will not agree to a prompt and fair settlement, we will waste no time in taking your case to trial before a judge or jury.
To get started, call our New York City personal injury law firm today to schedule a free and confidential evaluation of your case. As part of our contingency fee arrangement, we will not charge any legal fees unless we recover money for you. Our fee is paid if and only if, we recover money for you.
What is a Catastrophic Injury?
While definitions of “catastrophic” vary, a catastrophic injury is a life-changing injury, affecting both the people that suffer them and their family members and loved ones.
Some of the most common types of catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries: A brain injury can cause long-lasting damage and affect every function of the body. Symptoms of brain injuries may not appear right away. If a brain injury is suspected, it is critically important to seek medical attention immediately
- Facial fractures and skull fractures: Facial trauma can cause disfigurement, facial nerve damage, and even blindness or limited mobility of the jaw. In severe cases, trauma can inhibit breathing or cause severe bleeding.
- Spinal cord injuries: A severe injury to the spinal cord may cause permanent disability and loss of sensation below the injury site.
- Neck injuries: Injuries to the ligaments, muscles, and tendons in the neck may cause reduced movement, painful muscle spasms, and loss of range of motion.
- Disfigurement injuries: Scarring and disfigurement can cause severe physical pain, as well as diminished quality of life.
- Multiple broken bones: Bone fractures can be mild or severe, depending on the force of the break, the age of the victim, and the overall health of the victim. Compound and complete fractures may require surgical repair and open reduction/internal fixation with rods, screws, and plates.
- Loss of limb injuries: Loss of a hand, arm, or leg in a car accident creates a lifelong disability. The National Limb Loss Information Center estimates there are 1.7 million people living with limb amputations.
- Loss of eyesight or loss of hearing: Not being able to hear or see is a life-changing adjustment that may make work and some activities impossible.
Fatal injuries are also classified as catastrophic injuries. For people that do survive, catastrophic injuries will have far-reaching effects for years to come. They may shorten life expectancies and diminish quality of life.
For some, a catastrophic injury may cause chronic pain. For others, a catastrophic injury may cause permanent disability that prevents the victim from working, going to school, or performing the simplest daily tasks.
Causes of Catastrophic Injuries in NYC
Catastrophic injuries can result from all types of accidents. Car accidents are the largest cause of catastrophic injuries. Other common causes of severe and catastrophic injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Construction accidents
- Cycling accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Motorcycle crashes
- Negligent security
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Sporting injuries
- Subway accidents
- Truck accidents
- Workplace injuries
Thousands of people visit emergency rooms and are hospitalized each year with catastrophic injuries. If your injury was caused by another party’s negligent actions, they may be liable for the damage they caused you.
When you trust your case to Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., you are placing your claim in the hands of experts, who have successfully handled thousands of cases.
Types of Damages Available in a New York Personal Injury Claim
The more severe an injury, the greater the impact on their life, and the higher the financial impact. Damages in a personal injury claim fall into two separate categories:
Compensation for verifiable monetary losses due to an accident is called economic or monetary damages. These damages include:
- Past and future medical care expenses
- Emergency medical care
- Doctor visits
- Past and future lost income.
These damages can be tied to specific monetary values, whether past receipts or future estimates.
Compensation may be available for:
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of companionship, and
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
While some states have limits on pain and suffering damages for personal injury cases, there are no damages caps on non-economic damages in New York.
If an accident causes death or leads to death, surviving family members may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim to cover funeral and burial expenses, and the financial support the victim would have provided to their family over the course of a lifetime.
In some cases, punitive damages may be paid when a negligent party acted maliciously or with an outrageous indifference. Examples include road rage or gross medical malpractice.
In your free case review, we can determine the types of compensation that may be available.
Using a Life Care Plan In a Catastrophic Injury Personal Injury Claims
In a typical personal injury claim, compensation will cover medical expenses related to an injury, earnings lost while the victim was unable to work, and pain and suffering. However, catastrophic injuries often require significant medical care for months and years, and sometimes ongoing care over the course of a victim’s lifetime.
Putting a dollar amount on the expected impact of an injury requires a careful review of medical records and a thorough understanding of the victim’s needs. The costs of caring for someone with a catastrophic injury such as a severe traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury can be substantial.
Catastrophic injury claims may require consulting with a life care planner who will determine your needs going forward, which may include:
- Medical supplies, medications, and medical equipment
- Home and vehicle modifications to accommodate a disability
- Short-term and long-term nursing care
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Costs of daily living
- Projected life expectancy.
If a life care plan is helpful or necessary in your personal injury claim, we will work with the most qualified professionals to project your needs after an accident, so that you can receive fair compensation for all aspects of your claim.
What to Do Following An Accident
Catastrophic injuries are usually medical emergencies, and in most cases, people that suffer catastrophic injuries will need significant medical care, at least initially. If a loved one suffered a catastrophic injury, victims should get medical attention as soon as possible, and follow all doctors’ recommendations for follow-up care. They also should not delay in contacting a lawyer, who can help preserve evidence and witness recollections.
FAQ: Will Your Catastrophic Injury Case Go To Trial?
The vast majority of personal injury cases are settled outside of court. Trials are expensive endeavors, and always have some degree of risk. However, preparing a case for trial is a necessary part of building up a case. Exhaustive trial preparation demonstrates the required elements of negligence, liability, causation, and damages that are necessary to recover fair compensation.
Get a Free Consultation with a New York City Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
In a matter of seconds, negligent and reckless actions of others can change your life and future permanently. No amount of money can undo the effects of a severe injury or devastating loss. However, a personal injury or wrongful death claim can hold wrongdoers accountable and ease the financial burdens of medical bills and lost income. Having an experienced NYC catastrophic injury attorney can be the difference between minimal compensation, and maximum compensation.
Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. offers strong and aggressive legal representation to individuals who have suffered severe and catastrophic injuries due to the negligence of another, in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. We provide a no-cost, no-obligation case evaluation to determine if you have a case, and answer your questions. Because you have only a limited window of time to pursue a case, do not delay in contacting us.