New York City Premises Liability Lawyer
If you were injured on someone else’s property in NYC, you may have the right to financial compensation. If property owners fail to keep their premises safe they have a responsibility to pay for the injured person’s expenses, an experienced New York City Premises Liability Lawyer can help. Contact Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. at (212) 514-5007 to schedule a free consultation.
The skilled personal injury lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. are here to help. With over 40 years of experience, we provide respected, quality legal advice you can trust.
Don’t wait to call our law office if you’ve been hurt. We represent clients across NYC and Staten Island.
How an NYC Premises Liability Lawyer Will Help With Your Case
For most accident victims, hiring a lawyer is the last thing on their minds. You just want to move on with your life and not waste time in court. Insurance companies and defense lawyers know this, and use it to their advantage.
While some personal injury cases wind up in court, most are settled before court becomes necessary. Holding a careless or reckless property owner financially responsible for your injuries means negotiating with insurance companies. Those communications can be just as stressful as preparing your own case for court.
Insurance companies deal with accident and injury claims every day. They know exactly what to say to convince you to settle for less than you deserve. Our NYC premises liability attorneys know how to fight back.
Here are some reasons a lawyer can be especially valuable in a premises liability case:
- Property owners usually fix any dangerous conditions on the property as soon as there’s an accident
- It can be difficult to find the evidence needed to show that something hazardous did, in fact, cause your accident
- Insurance companies often try to blame accident victims for their own injuries. In a premises liability case, this can be as simple as claiming you should have paid more attention
- You might not know who is responsible for your injuries. An experienced law firm will conduct a thorough investigation to find out.
- If you’re seriously hurt, you might need help filing your claim within the applicable time limits
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., our experienced NYC personal injury attorneys are here to help with all of these complications and more.
We know you have options. Our lawyers will make sure you are fully informed so that you get the best possible results. Give us a call today to learn more about our law firm.
What is Premises Liability?
Premises liability is an area of law that holds negligent property owners responsible when others are hurt on their property. It makes sense, because if you aren’t at home, you have no way of knowing whether some type of danger exists on the property.
Every property owner has a legal duty to keep their property reasonably safe for invited guests and visitors. They also have a duty to warn of any known dangers on the property.
Of course, there are certain legal elements that have to be shown to get damages for your injuries. You must establish:
- The property owner’s duty of care
- Breach of that duty
- Causation, meaning that the owner’s actions or omissions caused the accident
- Damages (you suffered some type of injury or harm)
Sounds simple, right? Not always. In most states, a property owner’s duty of care can vary depending upon why you were on the property. For example, business owners are held to a higher standard because their customers or “invitees” are there to benefit the business. So, these property owners have a duty to regularly inspect their premises for dangers, repair known hazards, or warn of dangers that can’t be fixed immediately.
In these states, private property owners owe their guests or “licensees” a lesser duty of care. They only have to warn these guests of known hazards on their property.
However, in New York, the rules for premises liability are more uniform. Property owners must act reasonably and maintain their property in a safe condition. This duty may be influenced by the costs of remedying risks on the property, the likelihood of injury to visitors, and the identity of potential visitors and guests.
Contact our premises liability lawyers today to discuss how we can help you prove that a property owner’s negligence caused your injury.
Who Can be Held Responsible Under New York Premises Liability Law?
Premises liability law applies to all property owners. That includes:
- Private property owners
- Business owners
- Government entities responsible for maintaining parks and public spaces
- Transit companies responsible for maintaining sidewalks, subway stations and more
The one key exception involves trespassers. You must generally be on the property legally in order to hold a negligent property owner responsible for an accident.
There are many different forms of evidence that can show a property owner failed to act reasonably, including:
- Accident Reports
- Maintenance Records
- Reports of criminal activity near the premises
- Evidence of safety violations
- Eyewitness or expert testimony
- Video or security footage
- And more
Anytime you’re injured on someone else’s property, you may have the right to financial compensation. Call our NYC personal injury lawyers today to learn more.
We Handle All Types of Premises Liability Cases
You can fall and hurt yourself anywhere. A simple trip to the grocery store can leave you with shockingly serious injuries. That’s why New York City law requires property owners to take reasonable steps to keep you safe.
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we handle premises liability cases involving:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Trip and fall accidents
- Negligent security
- Negligent hotel security
- Elevator accidents
- Fire accidents
- Accidents at school or daycare
- Cases involving lead paint
- Grocery store slip and falls
- Slip and fall accidents caused by ice and snow
- Trip and fall accidents in restaurants and bars
- Subway slip and fall accidents
- Construction site accidents
- Amusement park accidents
- Swimming pool accidents
Call our NYC personal injury lawyers today to learn more.
Never Underestimate the Severity of an Injury
A simple slip and fall accident can produce surprisingly severe injuries. It’s important that you don’t underestimate how a simple injury might impact your life.
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., our NYC accident lawyers can help get the full amount of compensation you deserve. Premise liability cases often involve injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries and concussions
- Spinal cord injuries, including disc injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Eye injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Broken bones
- Injuries to the hips, knees, shoulders, ankles, and wrists
- Burn injuries
- Wrongful death
Even if you aren’t sure how long it will take to recover, it’s never too soon to start protecting your legal rights. The property owner might quickly fix the dangerous condition that caused your accident. This can make it much more difficult to prove their negligence.
Time is Limited to File a Claim
Time is always limited to file a personal injury lawsuit in New York. The statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits is three years. If the city or a public authority, like the MTA, is responsible, you have only 90 days to file a notice of claim.
Our lawyers are always available to help–and the sooner we get to work, the better our chances of successfully getting fair compensation for you.
New York Shared Responsibility Laws
New York shared responsibility laws often come into play in premises liability cases. Assume you slipped on a puddle at the grocery store. The store owner might claim that you should have seen the puddle and moved around it. You might even think that sounds reasonable.
Even if you were partly to blame, you may still have the right to compensation. Maybe a manager told a store employee to clean the puddle hours ago and they failed to do so. Maybe the store was understaffed and nobody had inspected the aisles for days.
Under New York law, your compensation award can be reduced if you could have avoided the accident. If the property owner’s negligence caused the accident even partially, however, they have a financial obligation to pay their share of the damages.
How Much Money is My Premises Liability Case Worth?
Our NYC trial lawyers work tirelessly to get the money you need to put your injuries in the past. We have a proven track record of successfully winning fair verdicts and settlements for our clients. Our team has already won millions of dollars for our injured clients. We are ready to fight for you.
Your claim for damages may include economic and non-economic awards, such as:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical treatment costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of your earning capacity
- Physical therapy costs
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
- Damages for wrongful death
Our personal injury lawyers are here to do everything we can to get the fair compensation you need. Contact our law firm on Wall Street today to talk about your case.
Call an Experienced New York City Premises Liability Lawyer Today
Proving liability in a premises liability case isn’t always easy. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done. We use our experience and legal knowledge to your advantage–and take care of the details while you recover.
If you were hurt on someone else’s property, call an NYC premises liability lawyer at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C for a free consultation today.
Our personal injury law firm in NYC, NY also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in NYC, NY
- Aviation Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in New York City, NY
- Car Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Nerve Damage Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in New York, NY
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Manhattan, NY
- Uber Accident Attorneys in New York, NY
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in NYC, NY