New York City Assault Injury Lawyer
No one should ever have to go through the pain and suffering of being intentionally hurt. Assault injuries can change your life for weeks, months, or even permanently–and the injuries you suffer can be both physical and emotional.
The criminal justice system can help you get justice by punishing the victim. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., our experienced NYC personal injury lawyers help assault victims get the money they deserve for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering and more.
We have over 40 years of experience and a passion for keeping our city safe by holding attackers and other negligent parties financially responsible for their crimes. To learn more about how we can fight to get the fair compensation, call an experienced NYC assault injury lawyer at (212) 514-5007 for a free consultation today.
How Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. Can Help If You Were Assaulted in NYC
Even if your attacker was caught and charged, that’s rarely the end of the story. Proving criminal liability can be difficult–and even if your attacker is convicted, that’s no guarantee that you’ll get the money you deserve.
Holding your attacker liable for assault and battery in a personal injury case can be complex. Often, someone other than the actual attacker shares in the blame–and you’ll usually have to negotiate with insurance companies and defense lawyers to get what you deserve.
Our lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. will take care of every aspect of your personal injury claim so that you can focus on your recovery.
Our lawyers take our attorney client relationships seriously, and will:
- Analyze all police documents and work with law enforcement to gain a full understanding of what happened
- Conduct our own investigation to identify every party that could owe you money for your injuries
- Work with respected experts to make sure your battery case is properly valued and accounts for both current and future expenses
- Handle the challenges created when a criminal case is simultaneously pending against your attacker
- Negotiate with the insurance companies and fight for a fair compensation award
- Build a strong, evidence-based claim that will stand up in court if needed
Our personal injury lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. are respected trial lawyers. We are recognized throughout the city for our unwavering commitment to getting justice for injured clients. We know how to get the evidence necessary to win fair compensation for you.
If you were assaulted in a downtown nightclub, running along Riverside or even on the job, we’re here to help. Your first consultation is free, so don’t hesitate to reach out and learn more about how we can fight to get compensation for you.
What is Civil Assault and Battery?
Criminal assault and civil assault under New York tort law are two different things. In civil law terms, assault is an intentional tort. Civil law allows injury victims to hold both intentional actors and negligent parties financially liable for their actions–even if someone is also being prosecuted at the criminal level.
“Assault” is often thought of as the act of causing someone to suffer physical harm. In terms of New York tort law, however, assault is actually the act of causing someone to fear imminent physical harm.
Battery, on the other hand, is the actual infliction of intentional physical injury. In other words, assault and battery happens when someone was successful with the assault.
To prove assault, you have to show that:
- The defendant somehow threatened or tried to cause you physical harm
- The defendant had the ability to follow through on that threat
- You reasonably feared that you were in danger of suffering imminent injury in the form of unwanted physical contact
It’s important to understand that it’s possible to have a successful assault case even if you weren’t actually injured. For some victims, emotional wounds can be just as damaging as physical injury.
Civil assault cases can involve a number of complexities. Having a skilled personal injury lawyer by your side is important to help you successfully navigate those complexities to get the most compensation possible.
Who Might Be Liable for Paying Damages for Assault Injuries?
New York tort law shifts the financial responsibility for harm away from the victim and onto the person who could have prevented the injury. If you don’t have experience with the legal system, you might not realize who could be held accountable for your injuries.
In most cases, parties other than the attacker can also be held liable. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding your attack, our skilled team of New York City personal injury lawyers can help.
Potentially responsible parties in an assault injury case might include:
- The attacker. While your attacker can always be held financially responsible, our lawyers always investigate to determine whether anyone else had a duty to take steps to prevent your attack.
- Bar or nightclub owners. These business owners should expect that violence could take place when alcohol is involved–and have a duty to provide adequate security to prevent injuries.
- Landlords. Landlords also have a duty to provide reasonable security, whether in the form of adequate lighting or security systems designed to keep criminals out.
- Schools. When a school fails to implement proper safety protocol and your child is hurt, the school itself can be held responsible for the assault or bullying.
- Business owners. A business owner’s duty to provide adequate security is a part of the owner’s duty to keep the property reasonably safe for invited customers under premises liability law. What constitutes “adequate security” will vary depending on the circumstances, but could include providing proper lighting, hiring security guards, installing cameras and more.
Identifying your attacker is only the beginning to determining who might be responsible for your injuries. The acts and omissions of negligent business owners may have also contributed to your injuries–and under New York law, you have the right to hold those parties accountable.
Our Lawyers Handle All Types of Assault Injury Cases
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., our assault and battery lawyers handle all types of assault and battery cases, including those involving:
- Bar fights
- Domestic violence
- Workplace assault
- Sexual assault
- Police brutality
- And more
If you were hurt and struggling to determine what to do next, call our law office for a free case review today. We can help you explore your options and understand your legal rights given your specific circumstances.
Assault Injuries Are Often Severe
Some assault victims are lucky enough to walk away with a black eye and a few scrapes. Other assault injuries can be much more serious. Our lawyers have experience helping victims of serious injuries, including:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Neck injuries
- Crush injuries
- Puncture and stab wounds
- Soft tissue damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death
Our NYC assault lawyers understand that you may simply want to put your injuries in the past and move on. However, perpetrators of assault shouldn’t be allowed to escape financial responsibility for the harm they’ve caused.
To start the fight to get fair compensation for your injuries, call our law firm to discuss your legal options today.
What Time Limits Apply in Civil Assault Cases?
As in any case involving an unintentional accident, New York law limits the time you have to claim compensation.
If you file a lawsuit against someone whose negligence contributed to your injuries, you have three years from the date of the assault to file a personal injury lawsuit. This statute of limitations period applies if you’re suing a business owner, landlord or other negligent property owner.
You have less time to sue your actual attacker. You only have one year to begin your action to recover compensation based on assault and battery.
We Fight to Get Fair Compensation for Assault Injury Victims in New York, NY
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., our personal injury attorneys are serious about holding all responsible parties accountable when someone is intentionally assaulted. We fight to get every dollar that you deserve, including compensation for:
- Medical bills
- The cost of future medical care
- Lost wages and salary
- Lost earning capacity
- Physical therapy and rehab
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional distress
- And more
Sometimes, you might also be entitled to punitive damages awarded solely to punish the attacker.
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we know that getting fair compensation can be challenging and time consuming–and especially difficult after you’ve experienced a trauma. Our goal is to make the process as streamlined and straightforward as we can.
If you suffered assault injuries in NYC, don’t hesitate to call to learn more. There’s no obligation involved in learning more about your legal rights.
Contact a Trusted New York City Assault Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation Today
If you were assaulted, you might be entitled to recover compensation even if your attacker was never formally charged. Remember, the standards for proving liability are different in civil and criminal courts.
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we offer a free consultation so that we can discuss your options without any risk or obligation to you. We also work on a contingency, so you don’t have to worry about paying our attorneys’ fees unless we win.
If you or a loved one were assaulted in the city, call to schedule a free consultation with an experienced NYC assault injury lawyer today. You can also use this online contact form to tell us what happened.
We represent clients who have been victims of assault and battery across NYC, including the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island.
Our personal injury law firm in NYC, NY also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in New York City, NY
- Car Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Nerve Damage Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in New York, NY
- Premises Liability Attorneys in New York, NY
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Manhattan, NY
- Uber Accident Attorneys in New York, NY
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in NYC, NY