New York City Nerve Damage Lawyer
Have you suffered nerve damage because you received substandard medical care in New York City? If your doctor or healthcare provider was negligent, you could be entitled to compensation. The money you’re awarded can cover the costs of your medical care, make up for lost wages, and compensate for the pain and suffering you live with every day.
Contact or call Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. at (212) 514-5007 to find out how our NYC nerve damage lawyers might be able to help you maximize your recovery. We offer a free initial case evaluation, so don’t hesitate to reach out to us digitally or by phone today. Our team is always standing by to take your call – 24/7/365.
Why Do I Need an NYC Personal Injury Lawyer If I’ve Suffered Nerve Damage?
Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. is ready and willing to help you file a medical malpractice lawsuit and seek the financial compensation you deserve.
For more than 40 years, our NYC personal injury attorneys have been advocating on behalf of victims of medical negligence across New York. We proudly go to bat for injury victims from the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.
Every client matters to us. When you call us for help, we’ll fight for you like you’re family.
We’ve recovered more than one billion dollars in compensation for injury victims just like you. How? By fighting hard and never giving up. As we navigate your nerve injury case, you can expect us to:
- Gather and examine any evidence that’s pertinent or relevant to your case
- Conduct an exhaustive investigation into the specific circumstances that led to your nerve injury
- Speak with unbiased medical experts to fully understand the more technical aspects of your case
- Handle all paperwork and court filings on your behalf, and
- Deal with hospitals and insurance companies and any manipulative tactics they might try to use along the way.
We’ll do our best to negotiate a substantial settlement on your behalf. However, if a hospital or insurance company decides to play hardball, we’ll be more than ready to take your case to a jury. Our courtroom presence is second-to-none. We’re fierce, passionate, and tenacious. We know how to sway a jury in our favor. That’s how, time and time again, we’ve been able to secure life-changing verdicts for clients.
Want to learn more? Give our New York City law firm a call. Your first case evaluation is 100 percent free.
What is Nerve Damage?
Your nervous system plays a role in everything that your body does. Movement. Sensory perception. Digestion. Even the beating of your heart. All of these things are controlled by the nervous system. Nerves are responsible for transmitting signals to and from the brain.
There are more than 7 trillion nerves running through your body. And, these nerves fall into one of three primary classifications:
- Autonomic nerves help to regulate involuntary body movement and functions (e.g., respiration, blood pressure, heart rate);
- Motor nerves help you move by passing information from the brain to your muscles, by way of your spinal cord; and
- Sensory nerves transmit sensations (e.g., touch, smell, taste, sound, and sight) to your brain for interpretation and analysis.
So, when a nerve is damaged, that communication can fall apart. In turn, you can experience a wide range of consequences, depending on the type of nerve that’s been damaged and the extent of the injury.
Types of Nerve Damage
Think of nerves as electrical wires running through the body. At the center of this wire is a core called the axon. The axon is responsible for relaying information to and from the brain. The axon is surrounded by several layers of protective tissue – including the endoneurium, perineurium, and epineurium. The type of nerve damage injury you experience really depends on how the nerve itself – and these components – are affected.
There are three major types of nerve damage injuries. These include:
- Neurapraxia: Here, there is no permanent physical damage to the nerve or any of its components. Rather, neurapraxia involves a temporary blockage of nerve conduction. Basically, the nerve’s ability to communicate and relay signals is compromised for a while.
- Axonotmesis: The axon, or core of the nerve, is severed, but the protective tissue remains intact. Over time, the axon can heal, restoring function to the nerve.
- Neurotmesis: All parts of the nerve are severed, including the protective layers around the axon. Neurotmesis is the most serious type of nerve damage. Surgery is the treatment for recovery.
While any type of trauma can cause nerve damage, including burns, slips and falls, and car accidents, medical malpractice is a leading cause of this type of injury.
How Can Medical Negligence Cause Nerve Damage?
When you go to the doctor for medical care, you trust that they’ll use their expertise, education, and experience to make you better – not worse. However, you do have 7 trillion nerves in your body. When a doctor makes a mistake or is careless, it’s not uncommon for some of those nerves to suffer some degree of damage.
Medical errors that can cause nerve damage include:
- Surgical errors, particularly those involving the spine
- Mistakes during childbirth and delivery
- Intubation errors
- Negligent use of surgical tools and instruments
- Negligent use of tourniquets and bandages
- Failure to diagnose degenerative conditions
- Positioning a patient in a way that pinches a nerve or inhibits blood flow, and
- Anesthesia errors.
These are just a few examples of acts of medical negligence that can cause nerve damage. Anytime a doctor misuses a tool, applies too much force, or simply makes a mistake, nerves can sustain an injury. If you’ve suffered nerve damage as a result of a medical error, call Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. Our NYC medical malpractice lawyers will help you pursue the compensation you need and deserve.
What Are the Signs of Nerve Damage?
Sometimes nerve damage can be moderate and temporary. Other times, nerve damage is so severe that the consequences are catastrophic and potentially permanent. Seeking prompt medical care whenever you begin to experience signs of nerve damage can be critical. So, don’t hesitate to visit your doctor or the emergency room if, after undergoing a medical procedure, you notice:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Sweating (either too much, or too little)
- Dry eyes
- Dry mouth
- Loss of motor function
- Bladder problems
- Loss of sensation or feeling, and
- Chronic pain.
Significant nerve damage, or degeneration of the nerves, can lead to paralysis, cardiac arrest, and even death.
What Compensation Can I Get In a New York Nerve Damage Lawsuit?
You rely on your nervous system every single day. It keeps you safe. It allows you to experience and enjoy the world. When your nerves become damaged, so does your ability to truly live. When nerve damages is a consequence of negligent medical care, the doctor who caused the damage has to be held fully accountable. So, too, does the hospital and any other medical professionals who had a hand in causing you so much pain.
You shouldn’t have to deal with the costs and consequences of nerve damage on your own. Not when you’re only in this position because a medical professional in New York City was careless. By filing a nerve injury lawsuit, you can demand compensation for:
- Present and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Temporary and/or permanent disability
- Reduced earning capacity
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Wrongful death, and more.
Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. will help you stand up to hospitals and their insurance companies. We’ll prepare a solid claim that’s backed by facts, evidence, and expert testimony. By taking the time to do this, we can position ourselves to maximize your recovery.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our New York City Nerve Damage Lawyers Today
Medical malpractice cases are particularly challenging. That’s thanks, in part, to laws that are designed to protect doctors and hospitals – not injured patients who really need and deserve compensation. However, Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. has been handling medical negligence lawsuits for decades. We know how to win. And, we’ll do everything we can to get you all of the money you deserve.
Our law firm offers a free consultation. So, don’t hesitate to give us a call or connect with us online to arrange a time to sit down and discuss your nerve damage case. We’ll carefully review your side of the story and explain what legal options might be available to you. When you decide to pursue compensation, we’ll stand by your side and help you fight every step of the way. That’s our promise to you.
It’s important to act quickly, as New York limits the amount of time you have to file a medical malpractice claim. So, call our team today.
Our personal injury law firm in NYC, NY also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in NYC, NY
- Aviation Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in New York City, NY
- Car Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in New York, NY
- Premises Liability Attorneys in New York, NY
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Manhattan, NY
- Uber Accident Attorneys in New York, NY
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in NYC, NY