If you live in or visit New York City, you will likely be in Central Park at some point. Central Park is approximately 843 acres between the Upper East Side and Upper West Side of Manhattan. New York City owns the park, but it is maintained and managed by the Central Park Conservancy through a contract with the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.

The park has numerous attractions, including the Central Park Zoo, Central Park Carousel, and Wollman Rink. The park’s facilities include sports facilities, recreation centers, outdoor pools, playgrounds, and nature centers. Central Park is estimated to be one of the most frequently visited parks, with 25 million visitors each year.

Common Types of Accidents at Central Park in New York City

Visitors to Central Park may sustain injuries in many different circumstances. Common reasons for injuries at Central Park include, but are not limited to:

  • Slips, trips, and falls
  • Bicycle accidents
  • Assaults and attacks
  • Dangerous and hazardous conditions
  • Playground injuries
  • Wildlife encounters
  • Defective or inadequately maintained recreational equipment
  • Failing to maintain equipment and premises

If you are injured at Central Park, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. However, recovering money for your claim could be challenging, depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident.

Suing the Government for an Injury at Central Park in NYC

Because the city owns the park and most of the facilities, your personal injury claim will likely be against New York City. Government tort claims can be very challenging. There are different rules that you must follow.

For example, the statute of limitations for claims against government entities is shorter. You must file a Notice of Claim with the New York City Comptroller within 90 days of your injury date.

The city will investigate your claim. You may be requested to attend a hearing or provide additional information. The city will then notify you whether they approve or deny your claim.

After 30 days, you can proceed with a personal injury claim if you wish. You must still comply with any requests from the city. Unlike other injury claims, you have one year and 90 days from the date of injury to file a personal injury lawsuit.

Because of the short deadlines and the different rules, you should consider contacting a New York personal injury lawyer immediately. An attorney understands government tort claims and the special rules that apply.

What Damages Can I Recover for an Injury at Central Park?

If you sue New York City for an injury in Central Park, you can receive compensation for economic and non-economic damages. Damages in a Central Park injury case include:

Document your damages by keeping a journal with details about your recovery. Keep copies of all bills, invoices, and receipts for expenses and payments. If you are out of work, gather information proving your loss of income.

Common Injuries Sustained at Central Park

A visitor to the park may sustain one or more injuries, including:

A person may sustain catastrophic injuries at the park. Catastrophic injuries include paralysis, electrocutions, drownings, and amputations.

What Should I Do After an Injury at Central Park in New York, NY?

If you are injured in Central Park, the steps you take after the accident can improve your chance of receiving fair compensation from the city. Steps to take include:

  • Take photographs and make a video to document the accident site
  • If you were injured because of a hazard, ensure your photos include the hazard
  • Ask witnesses for their names and contact information
  • Seek prompt medical treatment for your injuries
  • File a Notice of Claim with the city within 90 days to protect your right to sue

Contact a New York City personal injury lawyer to discuss your case. Legal advice early in your case can make a difference in the outcome of your personal injury claim against the city.

Contact Our Premises Liability Law Firm in New York City

If you’ve been injured in an accident in Manhattan, NY, and need legal help, contact our New York City premises liability lawyers at Rosenbaum Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation.

Rosenbaum Personal Injury Lawyers
100 Wall St 15th Floor
New York, NY 10005
(212) 514-5007