New York City Crane Accident Lawyer
Cranes are an indispensable tool on the construction site. Usually, cranes make workers’ lives easier and allow types of work that wouldn’t otherwise be possible.
Unfortunately, when a crane is negligently maintained or workers aren’t properly trained, serious crane accidents can threaten workers’ lives.
When you’ve been seriously hurt, you shouldn’t have to worry about the complexities of the legal system. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we’re here to help. Our experienced New York City construction accident lawyers will fight to get the fair compensation you deserve.
Our lawyers offer a free case review–we know you have enough on your plate without worrying about legal bills. If you were hurt on the construction site, call an experienced NYC crane accidents lawyer today. Our legal team is ready to start fighting for you.
How Can the New York Crane Accident Lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. Help?
When you choose Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we work to make your life easier while you recover. Our NYC personal injury attorneys will:
- Investigate to find out what caused the crane accident
- Obtain documents to prove causation, such as the policy for inspecting and maintaining the crane
- Work with the leading accident reconstruction specialists
- Fight back when the insurance company tries to pay you less than you deserve in workers’ compensation benefits
- Identify any responsible party who can be sued for damages
If you were hurt in a NYC crane accident, don’t leave money on the table. Call our knowledgeable construction accident lawyers and let us put more than 40 years of legal experience to work for you.
How Common Are Crane Accidents in New York City?
Construction is one of the deadliest occupations for NYC workers. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that nearly 300 fatalities were caused by crane accidents in the United States between 2011 and 2017.
More than half of these fatal accidents happened because someone was struck by something falling off the crane. New York was among the five states with the highest number of crane accident fatalities in the nation–a statistic that isn’t surprising given the number of cranes being used throughout the city.
Why Do Crane Accidents Happen?
Most crane accidents are preventable. In other words, crane accidents usually happen because someone was careless or negligent. Common causes of crane accidents in New York City include:
- Failure to complete routine inspections
- Failure to properly maintain the crane
- Inadequate training for crane operators and construction workers in the vicinity of the crane
- Inadequate supervision
- Lack of communication
- Failure to follow OSHA and NYC safety standards
- Design flaws in the crane
- Failure to inspect the crane components, including pulleys, cables, boom and boom stops
Our lawyers can work to discover these and other negligent acts, which could cause:
- Cranes collapsing
- Overloading the crane
- Failing to properly secure the crane based on the ground surface
- Hoist failures
- Contact with electrical wires and power lines
- Unexpected load drops
- Failing to use stabilizing outriggers, which can cause a crane to tip over
Cranes are complex machines. They have to be set up and operated in a certain way to avoid tragic accidents. Further, different types of cranes require different safety precautions and installation methods.
When companies fail to follow the safety rules, accidents happen and people get hurt. Even if you’re doing your job right, you could wind up with severe injuries.
Our experienced construction accident lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. will investigate to get to the bottom of what caused your crane accident.
Crane Accident Victims Are Often Seriously Injured
Crane accident victims might sustain any number of serious injuries in accidents, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Crush injuries
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Internal organ damage
- Severe burns
- Broken bones
- Lost limbs
- Soft tissue injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death
Any one of these injuries can be serious, if not fatal. It’s important to find out exactly who and what caused your accident to make sure you get a compensation award high enough to cover your expenses.
If you have questions about your rights, don’t hesitate to schedule a free case review today. Our construction accident lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. will be happy to discuss your case with you.
How Can You Know Who’s Responsible for a Crane Accident?
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we investigate the cause of your accident–and once we establish causation, we trace that back to the responsible party. Responsible parties could include:
- Property owners. Property owners have a general duty to provide safe working conditions.
- General contractors. Under New York Labor Law Section 200, general contractors have a duty to keep equipment on the construction site safe and make sure you have the protections you need.
- Crane manufacturers. The company that made the crane can be held responsible for any defects in the crane that caused the accident. Manufacturers of defective crane components can also be held responsible under New York product liability laws.
- Crane owners. Sometimes a third party owns the crane you’re using on the site. That company can be held responsible for failing to inspect or maintain the crane.
- Subcontractors. Another company working on the site could be responsible for providing and operating the crane. That subcontractor can be held responsible for their negligence if an employee of another company is hurt.
- Engineers. An engineer might have been negligent in directing placement of the crane or ask you to do something unreasonably dangerous. As professionals, they can be responsible for their own negligence.
A thorough investigation is key to finding the responsible party. After a serious crane accident, these companies will undoubtedly conduct their own investigation. It’s important that you have a lawyer in your corner to look out for your best interests. If you were hurt in a NYC crane accident, give our lawyers a call today for a free consultation.
What Types of Damages Are Available for Crane Accident Victims?
You’ve probably heard that you can’t sue your boss after getting hurt on the job. While this is true because of NYC workers’ compensation laws, it doesn’t mean that you cannot sue someone else who was negligent.
This is called a third-party claim. It’s a type of lawsuit that allows you to get money above and beyond the amounts workers’ compensation pays.
In a third-party injury claim, you might be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Hospitalization and ER costs
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning ability (permanent disability)
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Medical devices
- Modifications to your home and vehicle
- Long-term care
- Pain and suffering
- Lost quality of life
- Damages for wrongful death
Multiple people might be responsible for the crane accident. Our lawyers know what to look for so that we can identify every responsible party in your case. If multiple parties are responsible, there are multiple ways we can go after the full compensation you need.
This is important because insurance policies have caps on the amount of damages they will pay. Even workers’ compensation benefits are limited. We work to make sure you get the full amount you’re entitled to receive.
New York Workers’ Compensation Benefits
If you were hurt on the job, you can also claim New York state workers’ compensation benefits. By filing a workers’ compensation claim, you can receive compensation for your reasonable medical bills and part of your lost wages, subject to a weekly maximum.
You can receive about ⅔ of your average weekly wages through NYC workers’ compensation. These lost wages are available if you are unable to work for at least 14 days.
Many crane accident victims soon find that workers’ compensation isn’t enough to get by. You will also have to see doctors who are approved by the workers’ compensation board and might face challenges getting the care you need.
Our lawyers can help you overcome these challenges. We will also work to see if you’re entitled to file a third-party lawsuit against the party responsible for the crane accident.
Call a Seasoned NYC Crane Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation Today
If you or a loved one were hurt in a crane accident, call the knowledgeable personal injury lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. for help. It’s important to call as soon as you can, because New York law only gives you three years to file a lawsuit.
Our experienced NYC crane accident lawyers know how to get the most available compensation for your injuries. Your first consultation is completely free, so there’s no risk in getting the legal advice you need. Contact our personal injury law firm to discuss your case today.