New York City Seatbelt Injury Lawyer
Seatbelts save lives. Decades of research have shown that wearing a seatbelt reduces the risk of severe injuries and death in a car accident. For example, seatbelt use can reduce the risk of fatal injuries by up to 45 percent.
However, seatbelts can also cause serious injuries to drivers and passengers in car accidents. Our New York City seatbelt injury lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. represent clients who have been injured because of a defective or malfunctioning seatbelt.
Our law firm has recovered millions of dollars for accident victims in jury verdicts and settlements. With over 40 years of legal experience, you can trust our legal team to do what it takes to win your personal injury case.
Contact our New York City law office by calling us at (212) 514-5007 to schedule your free consultation with a New York car accident attorney. We want to help you recover the compensation you deserve after a seatbelt injury in New York City, NY.
Table of Contents
How Our New York City Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Seatbelt Injury
It can be difficult to know whether a seatbelt caused or contributed to your car accident injuries. In some cases, it may not be evident that a seatbelt malfunctioned. However, there could be subtle signs that a seatbelt may have caused your injuries.
Our New York seatbelt injury lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. have experience with these types of personal injury cases. We understand the steps to take as we investigate your injuries to determine who is responsible for your damages.
When you hire our legal team in New York City, New York, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the cause of your injuries, including all contributing factors
- Identify the parties responsible for your injuries and damages
- Filing insurance claims and handle communications with the insurance company
- Work with experts to determine if a seatbelt caused your injuries or contributed to the severity of your injuries
- Calculate the value of your damages and fight to get that amount for your case
- Prepare to file a lawsuit and argue your case in court when parties refuse to negotiate a fair settlement
If you have questions about a potential seatbelt injury, contact our office for a free case review to assess your personal injury claims. Our New York personal injury attorneys are here to help you when you need trusted legal counsel.
How Do Seatbelts Cause Injuries in NYC?
Wearing a seat belt does not always cause injuries. In most cases, seatbelts reduce the risk of severe injury and death. However, several factors could result in seatbelt injuries.
Some common reasons seatbelts cause injuries include:
- Pre-existing conditions and prior injuries could increase the risk of seatbelt injuries
- Young children who are too short for the seatbelt to fit correctly
- Wearing a seatbelt incorrectly
- Improper positioning of the seatbelt
- Defective seatbelts
Injuries will depend on the severity of the crash and the factors involved in the collision.
Common Injuries Caused by Seatbelts
Seatbelts can cause a variety of injuries in a car accident, including:
- Sternal fracture
- Injuries to your intestines or other internal organs (seatbelt syndrome)
- Injuries because your seatbelt did not restrain you during the accident, such as traumatic brain injuries and broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Bruised or broken ribs and other chest injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Skin abrasions
- Neck injuries and whiplash
- Lung and heart injuries
A defective seatbelt could unlatch, causing a person to be ejected from the vehicle. Alternatively, seatbelts may tighten too much during a collision or allow enough slack for the person to slam forward as the airbag inflates.
Should I Seek Medical Attention After a Car Accident in New York?
If you have been involved in a car crash, it is always a good idea to visit a doctor. Even if you feel “fine” or experience minor soreness, you could have internal injuries caused by the seatbelt.
Some symptoms of seatbelt injuries include, but are not limited to:
- Abdominal pain
- Bruising or discoloration
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest pain
- Limited mobility in the arms and shoulders
- Dizziness or weakness
- Vomiting or nausea
- Trouble with bowel movements or urination
Prompt medical care can help determine whether the seatbelt caused your injuries or made your injuries worse. Also, prompt care can diagnose injuries before they become worse or life-threatening.
Who Is Liable for Seatbelt Injuries After a New York Car Accident?
When you are involved in a car accident, the person who caused the car crash could be responsible for your injuries and damages. The damages would include any injuries caused by a seatbelt during the collision.
Parties who could be liable for damages caused by a car accident include:
- The driver of the other car
- A pedestrian or bicyclist
- The driver of the car in which you were riding
- Government entitles (liability for roads)
- Passengers (passenger negligence)
- Employers of negligent parties
If the seatbelt was defective or malfunctioned, a seatbelt manufacturer or vehicle manufacturer could be liable or partially liable for your damages under product liability laws.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our New York City Car Accident Law Firm
If you have been in an accident in New York, do not delay in seeking legal advice. There are deadlines for filing claims related to seatbelt injuries. Call now for your free appointment with a New York City seatbelt injury lawyer. We’re standing by to help you.
Other Car Accident Cases We Cover
- Parking lot accidents
- Self-driving car accidents
- Lane change crashes
- Multi-vehicle accidents
- Rear-end crashes