How To Get Money From a Car Accident Without a Lawyer?
You might not need the help of a lawyer to settle your car accident case in New York, NY. However, that does not mean you should not talk with a New York City car accident lawyer before deciding your best course of action.
Our New York personal injury attorneys at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. offer free case reviews. You can learn about your legal options and how hiring a lawyer can help you recover maximum compensation for your car accident claim.
Table of Contents
How Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., Can Help You With a Car Accident Case in New York City
The insurance company has resources and experienced insurance adjusters to fight your claim. Hiring Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. evens the playing field.
Our law firm has fought for the rights of injured New Yorkers for over 40 years. We have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., our legal team aggressively pursues justice for you and your family.
We have an exceptional reputation for success and customer service. Our New York City car accident lawyers have Superb 10.0 ratings with Avvo. They have been recognized by leading legal organizations, including Super Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, and America’s Top 100 Attorneys.
When you hire our top-rated legal team, you can expect us to:
- Complete an independent accident investigation to determine how the accident happened
- Identify all parties who could be liable for your damages
- Gather evidence proving the other driver caused the accident
- Document your damages to determine the correct value of your case
- Work with expert witnesses to strengthen your allegations of fault and damages
- Handle all matters related to the insurance claim
- Negotiate settlements and argue your case in court
You might not need a lawyer if you were not injured or have a minor injury case. However, we strongly recommend seeking legal advice before acting on your own. We never want to see injury victims receive less for their claim than it is worth.
Call now for a free case evaluation to determine if you need to hire a New York City personal injury lawyer to get the money you deserve.
What Do You Need To Know Before You Try To Get Money for a Car Accident Without a Lawyer?
If you decide to try to get money for your New York car accident without a lawyer, some things you need to research and understand include the following:
- How pain and suffering damages are calculated in New York City
- How much a personal injury case is worth
- Failing to mitigate damages can decrease the value of your claim
- When to accept a settlement offer from an insurance company
- Subrogation rights of health insurance companies
- How New York’s contributory fault laws can reduce the amount of money you receive for a car accident claim
- The statute of limitations for car accident lawsuits
- The differences between economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages
- What is considered evidence in a car accident case
- How to prove negligence to establish liability
- How to write a settlement demand letter
- The automobile insurance requirements and laws in New York
Each personal injury case is unique. Therefore, you might encounter other matters that require extensive knowledge of personal injury laws and the claims process.
How To Avoid Mistakes if You Don’t Hire a Lawyer for a New York City Car Accident Case
If you want to handle your car accident claim without a lawyer, it helps to know the top five mistakes people make when trying to get money for a car accident on their own.
Settling Before Knowing the Extent of Their Injuries
The insurance company might pressure you to settle your claim quickly. However, settling your case before understanding the extent of your injuries could result in a much lower settlement amount. Until you complete your medical care and your doctor gives you a prognosis, you cannot know the severity of your injuries and whether you could incur future damages.
Making a Recorded Statement or Providing a Written Statement
What you say could hurt your chance of receiving a fair settlement for your case. Insurance adjusters try to get victims to say things that could be twisted and used against them.
Do not agree to provide a recorded statement or give the company a written statement. Always ask if your telephone conversation is being recorded. Do not consent to speak on a recorded line.
Accepting the Insurance Company’s Initial Offer
Initial settlement offers are often much lower than the case is worth. You can negotiate with the insurance company for a higher amount. However, you must know how much your case is worth before you can negotiate.
Failing To Include All Damages in the Claim
Many people understand they can receive reimbursement for their lost wages and medical bills. However, they might not be aware they can recover:
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Costs of personal care
- Other monetary damages.
Likewise, they might not realize they are entitled to compensation for their:
- Emotional distress
- Physical pain
- Permanent impairments
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
You need to know how much your damages are worth. The insurance company will not tell you if you ask for a lower amount.
Ignoring the Deadline To File Lawsuits
The deadline for filing a car accident lawsuit in New York is three years in most cases. However, there could be exceptions that could shorten the deadline.
An insurance company might stall your claim so that you miss the deadline. If you file your claim too late, you’ll likely lose your chance to obtain compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our New York City Car Accident Lawyers
We want to help you receive fair compensation for a car accident claim. Contact our law office to schedule a free case review with one of our experienced New York City car accident attorneys.