Uninsured Motorist Claims in New York City
Being hit by another driver in New York City, New York, can be devastating. Property damages, medical bills, lost wages, and other damages could total hundreds of thousands of dollars. But then, when you believe the situation could not be any worse, you discover the driver who hit you did not have insurance coverage.
The New York City car accident lawyers of Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. have over 40 years of combined experience handling accident claims, including uninsured motorist claims. Our law firm has recovered millions of dollars for our clients, including multi-million dollar awards. Our lawyers are members of the Multi-Million Dollars Advocates Forum and the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers.
Contact our law firm to schedule your free consultation with an experienced New York City uninsured motorist claims attorney at (212) 514-5007. We pursue all sources of compensation for your car accident, including claims against your insurance coverage for uninsured drivers.
Table of Contents
How Can Our New York City Car Accident Lawyers Help You With an Uninsured Motorist Claim?
New York City, NY, insurance laws can be confusing. The state requires drivers to carry several types of car insurance coverage. Sorting out liability for a car accident and filing insurance claims can be challenging, especially if you are still recovering from injuries.
Our New York City car accident attorneys can handle all aspects of your personal injury claim. So instead of dealing with aggressive insurance adjusters and worrying about your claim, you can focus on healing from injuries.
When you hire the award-winning legal team at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the cause of your car accident to determine fault
- Review insurance policies and pursue all potential sources of compensation and insurance coverage
- File insurance claims and handle the insurance companies
- Gather evidence necessary to prove your claim for liability and damages
- Negotiate reasonable settlement amounts with the at-fault parties and insurance companies
- File a lawsuit and proceed to trial if that is the best way to protect your right to fair compensation for an accident claim
We are aggressive trial lawyers and skilled negotiators. Our legal team does not leave anything to chance as we fight to get you the money you deserve.
Call our law office now for a free consultation with a New York City uninsured motorist claims lawyer.
What Are the Insurance Requirements for New York Drivers?
Before discussing an uninsured motorist claim, it helps to review the required insurance coverage for New York drivers. State law requires drivers to purchase at least:
- No-fault insurance coverage (Personal Injury Protection or PIP) in the amount of $50,000 per person
- Bodily injury liability insurance in the amount of $25,000 for injury to one person and $50,000 for injury to two or more people in a single accident
- Liability insurance for death in the amount of $50,000 for one death and $100,000 for the death of two or more people in a single accident
- $10,000 in liability property damage coverage
- Uninsured motorist insurance coverage, which has the same minimum insurance amounts as liability bodily injury
No-fault insurance pays the insured and covered individuals regardless of who causes the accident. Liability insurance compensates accident victims when the accident was your fault. Uninsured motorist coverage applies in cases when an uninsured motorist causes an accident.
Understanding Uninsured Motorist Coverage in NYC
If an uninsured driver causes an accident, your uninsured motorist insurance coverage should cover your damages up to the policy limits. The insurance company must verify that the at-fault driver did not have liability insurance coverage at the time of the crash. Furthermore, the uninsured driver must have caused the accident and be liable for damages.
Assuming you have minimum bodily insurance coverage, the uninsured motorist coverage is $25,000. That means the maximum insurance coverage for your claim would be $75,000 ($50,000 PIP coverage and $25,000 uninsured motorist coverage).
Increasing your uninsured motorist coverage is important when you increase your bodily injury coverage. Doing so ensures you have sufficient insurance coverage to pay for damages, even if the driver who causes your car accidents does not have the required liability insurance coverage.
Do I Need To Hire a Lawyer To File an Uninsured Motorist Claim in New York?
Even though you are dealing with your insurance company when filing the claim, it does not guarantee that you receive the full value of your claim. Insurance companies routinely fight injury claims and undervalue claims to save money, even the claims filed by their own customers.
For that reason, you might consider consulting a New York City uninsured claims lawyer. An attorney can help you obtain the maximum compensation for your car accident claim by identifying all sources of insurance coverage and fighting to obtain fair settlement amounts for each insurance policy.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Car Accident Law Firm in NYC at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C.
You can sue an uninsured driver for damages, but the chance of receiving money is slim. However, filing an uninsured motorist claim could result in a settlement offer compensating you for your damages.
Call now to discuss your case with an experienced New York City uninsured motorist claims attorney.
Other Car Accident Cases We Cover
- Highway Crashes
- Lane change crashes
- Multi-vehicle accidents
- Parking lot accidents
- Passenger negligence
- Rear-end car crashes
- Single Vehicle Accidents
- U-turn Accidents
- Can I Be Compensated For Pre-Existing Conditions After a Car Accident?
- New York Car Inspection Laws
- New York Child Car Seat Laws
- New York City Car Accident FAQs
- Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections in New York City
- Car Color and Crash Risk
- What Does an NYC Car Accident Lawyer Do?
- When To Hire a Lawyer After a Car Accident in NYC