Craig Rosenbaum | January 24, 2022 | Car Accidents
3 Ways To Choose The Best Car Accident Lawyer In NYC
Whether a distracted driver hits you, you’re involved in a motorcycle crash, or you’re the victim of a hit and run, traffic accidents are highly stressful events that can leave you feeling overwhelmed and confused.
One of the best ways to regain confidence after you’ve been involved in an accident in New York is to discuss your case with an experienced NYC car accident lawyer. This is true, even if you’re unsure whether or not you have a legitimate case.
With so many personal injury attorneys serving the Big Apple, finding the car accident lawyer that’s right for you can seem challenging.
Keeping a few tips in mind can help you take the guesswork out of finding a reputable lawyer, so you can focus on what’s important—recovering from your accident.
#1: Rely on Your Friends and Family for Recommendations
Asking friends and family if they have a car accident attorney they trust and recommend is a great way to begin your search for a New York City car accident lawyer. Your friends and family are your inner circle—they care about you and want you to get the best legal representation possible.
Moreover, the people you’re closest with are usually the most candid. Therefore, you can trust their recommendations to be honest, insightful, and helpful.
Car and truck accidents happen every day in New York City, so there’s a good chance that someone you know and trust has worked with an auto accident attorney or knows someone who has.
Make sure you seek out recommendations for a car accident or personal injury attorney, specifically. They’ll be familiar with all types of motor vehicle accidents, whether caused by a drunk driver, road defect, or someone running a red light.
#2: Do Your Own Research
Getting referrals from friends and family is a great place to start, but don’t stop there. The next step is to do your research.
Start with an online search of the New York City car accident attorneys referred to you by family and friends.
A simple Google search often provides you with the firm’s website, social media channels, and testimonials or Google reviews.
A few things to ask yourself during the online research phase include:
- What type of law does the firm specialize in? Look for personal injury and vehicle accident expertise and a track record of results in litigating these cases.
- How much experience does the lawyer or the law firm have? Motor vehicle accident cases can be very complex. The more experience a firm has dealing with car accidents, the better chance you have to recover the maximum financial settlement.
- Do the lawyers have trial experience? Many cases do settle, but you want a lawyer who is not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary.
- Where is the law firm located? For example, if you’re located in Queens, Manhattan, Bronx, or Brooklyn, look for a lawyer that serves your specific location.
- Does the lawyer or law firm have positive reviews and feedback? Websites such as Avvo, the American Bar Association, and Super Lawyers provide reviews on top lawyers in different areas of law, including personal injury law. You can also check Google and Facebook for reviews.
Once you have an attorney you think might be a good fit don’t delay in reaching out to speak with them.
#3: Take Advantage of the Free Consultation
Many car accident attorneys in New York City offer free initial consultations. The consultation is an opportunity to figure out if the attorney is right for you. Use your consultation to ask any questions regarding your accident, including whether or not you have a case and if it’s in your best interest to file a lawsuit.
Understand the Fee Arrangement
Contrary to popular belief, free consultations are not a tactic that lawyers use to convince you to hire them. The best personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis.
That is, they do not get paid unless they successfully reach a settlement or win your case in court. Therefore, it’s in a lawyer’s best interest to fully evaluate your car accident claim before they agree to represent you.
Let the Lawyer Review Important Documents
Get to Know the Lawyer and Staff
It’s essential to pay attention to how you feel when you’re talking to an attorney. You should trust your lawyer with your case and be willing to provide them with all the information they need to represent you successfully.
After consulting with a few NYC car accident lawyers, you should feel confident enough to choose the one for your case.
Contact Our Car Accident Law Firm in New York City
If you’ve been injured in an accident in Manhattan, NY, and need legal help, contact our New York City car accident lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. to schedule a free consultation.
Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C.
100 Wall St 15th Floor
New York, NY 10005