Drug companies are remarkably good at making money. The anti-nausea drug Zofran has produced big profits for GlaxoSmithKline. And once patent protection passed, plenty of other companies stepped in to market generic versions of Zofran.

But what drug companies are often not good at is warning of unduly dangerous side effects from drugs like Zofran — such as birth defects in children born to women who were prescribed a generic version of Zofran for morning sickness.

At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we are appalled by this outcome. If your child suffered birth defects that you believe are linked to anti-nausea meds, we encourage you to get in touch for a free consultation. Our lawyers are experienced in dangerous drug cases and serve clients throughout the New York City area.

What Were You Prescribed — And What Happened?

Zofran is the brand name for a drug called ondansetron hydrochloride. It blocks serotonin, a natural substance in the body that causes vomiting. It was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the 1990s as an anti-nausea medication for patients who suffer nausea as a side effect of cancer treatment.

Eventually, however, doctors began to use the drug “off label” to treat morning sickness, the vomiting that is associated with the early stages of pregnancy.

But there was a major problem with this. It was not done with adequate warnings of the risk of birth defects for women who take Zofran or its generic counterpart in the first trimester of pregnancy. These birth defects can include:

  • Heart defects
  • Cleft palate or lips

If your child has suffered birth defects that you believe were caused by anti-nausea meds, our attorneys can guide you through the process of seeking proper compensation. We have the litigation skills to hold drug companies accountable for the harm they have caused.

Get A Strong Product Liability Lawyer in New York

You may still be struggling to accept that your child has birth defects. Let us help you understand your legal rights and how to bring a compensation claim. You can reach us by calling 212-514-5007 or by completing our online form.