New York City Taxi Accident Lawyer
Have you been injured in a taxi accident in New York City?
A personal injury lawsuit may compensate you for medical care, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.
If you hire us, we will handle all communications with insurance companies and do everything we can to maximize your taxi accident personal injury claim and allow you to focus on healing and getting better.
Table of Contents
How Our New York Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After Your Taxicab Accident
Taxi accidents can cause catastrophic injury, whether you were hurt as a backseat passenger in a taxi, or as a pedestrian or bicyclist. Many NYC taxi accidents are the result of negligent or careless actions of the taxi driver.
When these preventable tragedies occur, the victims or their families may hold the responsible parties, including the taxi driver and taxi company, accountable in a personal injury or wrongful death claim. Following your accident, the experienced New York City personal injury attorney at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., will fight for your rights to full and fair compensation.
Our attorneys have more than 40 years of experience handling car accident injury claims, including many New York taxi accidents. We understand the unique aspects of these cases.
We have firsthand experience seeing how a serious accident can change your future forever. We know how much is at stake in a serious injury case. Our firm case results include many six and seven-figure verdicts and settlements. These are a testament to our relentless pursuit of justice. Our approach handling taxi accident injury claims includes:
- Preserving all available evidence including law enforcement reports, witness recollections
- Investigating prior incidents involving the taxi company or taxi driver
- Working with top accident reconstructionists to recreate the accident and establish liability
- Holding cab companies and insurance companies accountable and negotiating the maximum settlement available
- Taking your case to trial before a jury if a fair settlement cannot be negotiated.
We fight hard and demand justice. If you or someone you loved has been involved in a New York City taxi accident, call us today for a free consultation. We do not charge anything to review your case, and we are only paid if we recover money for you.
Who is Responsible for a New York City Taxi Cab Accident?
Multiple parties may be liable following a New York City taxi accident, including:
- The taxi cab driver
- The taxi cab manufacturer
- The taxi cab company
- Other drivers
- Government agencies.
Taxicab accidents can be complex, especially when multiple vehicles or parties are involved. A skilled lawyer can review the crash report for your accident and determine who may be liable, and if necessary, arrange an independent investigation. As soon as you’ve received medical care for your injuries, contact a lawyer as quickly as possible to protect your rights.
Insurance Available in a New York Taxi Accident
New York City has more than 13,000 medallion (yellow) taxi cabs providing taxi transportation in the five boroughs. Although rideshare/e-hail services like Uber and Lyft have changed transportation, taxis still play a vital role. Yellow taxis in New York are licensed by the Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC). They must carry minimum insurance coverage:
- $100,000 per person / $300,000 per accident
- $200,000 personal injury protection
- $10,000 in property damage liability.
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., our lawyers can help you recover the maximum compensation available to you for your injuries.
Causes of NYC Taxi Accidents
Some of the top causes of motor vehicle accidents involving taxis in New York City include:
- Distracted driving: Distractions include anything that takes a driver’s hands, eyes, or mind off driving. A smartphone or cell phone is the number one distraction in vehicles.
- Reckless driving: State laws vary in defining reckless driving. New York broadly defines reckless driving in Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 1212, as driving a vehicle in a manner which unreasonably interferes with the free and proper use of the public highway, or unreasonably endangers users of the public highway. Reckless driving could be weaving in and out of traffic, speeding, or tailgating. Police have a large amount of discretion in defining reckless driving, which is not just a traffic violation but a criminal action.
- Driver Fatigue: Taxi drivers have long driver hours and often experience fatigue (fatigue is also a growing problem in Uber/Lyft/rideshare accidents). They are prohibited from driving more than 12 hours in a row, but this may not stop them from driving another rideshare.
When taxi accidents are caused by the negligence of a driver, you may have a claim against the driver, the taxi cab company, and potentially other third parties.
A lawyer can help you determine who was responsible for your injuries, and who may be liable.
Types of Injuries that May Result from New York City Taxi Accidents
Many taxi passengers on short trips do not wear safety belts. Nationwide, in 2015, 966 deaths (4.3% of 22,441 total fatalities) involved unbelted or unrestrained occupants of rear seats. Some of the types of injuries that may result from an NYC taxi accident include:
- Whiplash: A common neck injury in rear-end accidents, caused by rapid back-and-forth movement when the head is thrown forward and then back. Neck pain, neck stiffness, and headaches are the primary symptoms of a whiplash injury.
- Lacerations / Scrapes: A collision can cause skin, tissue, and muscle to be cut from broken glass. These injuries can require stitches and cause permanent scarring. Prompt treatment can reduce the risk of infection.
- Head injuries: Head trauma following a taxi accident can range from a mild concussion to a severe traumatic brain injury.
- Broken bones: Bone fractures are painful injuries. Some of the most frequently broken bones in an NYC taxi accident include fractures of the vertebrae in the spine, ribs, sternum, collarbone, femur, and ankles. Surgery and physical therapy may be necessary for the fracture to heal properly.
- Internal bleeding: Blunt trauma or penetrating trauma in a high-impact collision can damage blood vessels and cause internal bleeding. Surgery may be necessary if bleeding is severe.
- Contusions: A contusion is a bruise, often causing swelling or discomfort. A pulmonary contusion, or bruise to the lung, can result from chest trauma in a car accident.
- Knee trauma: A car accident can throw a taxi passenger forward, causing them to strike their knee on the seat in front of them. This can cause a torn meniscus, shattered patella, or patellar chondromalacia.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): A taxi accident can be extremely distressing, as people get in a taxi expecting a smooth and safe ride. PTSD following a taxi-cab accident can result in anxiety. The fear of riding in a car following an accident is a form of PTSD.
- Wrongful Death: Taxi accident deaths in NYC are relatively rare, but on average, several occur per month. In 2018, New York City’s Taxi and Limousine Commission reported 40 fatal crashes involving licensed taxi drivers on New York Streets.
In 2019, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) released a concerning report which revealed that backseat passengers are more prone to severe injuries than front-seat passengers, even in a head-on collision. If you’ve suffered a serious injury in a New York taxi accident, an attorney can help you understand and protect your legal rights.
Compensation Available for NYC Taxi Accident Injuries
If you’ve been injured in a New York taxi accident, you may seek compensation for your losses, called “damages.” Damages may include:
- Lost earnings: If you have to take time off work or will not be able to work going forward, you may receive compensation for past and future lost wages. If you can only work in a limited capacity going forward, you may be compensated for the loss of earning capacity.
- Medical bills: Compensation for New York taxi accident injuries will include all medical expenses related to your accident, including emergency room visits, hospitalization, surgeries, lab fees, and prescription medications.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering is an added element of damage based on the severity of your injuries, both emotional and physical.
- Wrongful death: If the accident led to a loved one’s passing, wrongful death damages may be available for final medical bills, lost income the victim would have earned over their lifetime, and loss of love and companionship.
A skilled New York personal injury lawyer can help you calculate damages and maximize your settlement. They will work with investigators and care planners to calculate the compensation you need, and then negotiate a fair settlement with the other side.
Time Limits to File a New York Taxi Accident Personal Injury Lawsuit
Time is of the essence following an accident. The sooner you contact an attorney, the sooner evidence can be preserved, and your path to financial recovery can begin. You are also subject to a statute of limitations, which restricts the amount of time you have to file a personal injury claim. The statute of limitations in New York is three years from the date of the accident.
Get a Consultation With Our New York City Taxi Accident Lawyers
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we are here seven days a week to take your call and schedule a free phone or video consultation. We know you have questions, and our NYC taxi accident lawyers will do our best to answer them and advise your rights and options. Call us today to discuss your case. There are never any fees unless we recover money for you.
Our personal injury law firm in NYC, NY also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in NYC, NY
- Aviation Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in New York City, NY
- Car Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Manhattan, NY
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Nerve Damage Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in New York, NY
- Premises Liability Attorneys in New York, NY
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in New York City, NY
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Manhattan, NY
- Uber Accident Attorneys in New York, NY
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in NYC, NY