Has your child been injured in a car accident, assault, dog bite, or due to negligent supervision at a daycare or school in New York City?
If so, your family may be entitled to financial compensation. Preventable injuries to children are traumatic and devastating – physically, emotionally, and financially. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we advocate for children and families and fight for accountability and fair compensation.
If your child has been harmed due to the negligence of another, we will aggressively pursue every dollar you and your child are entitled to.
We offer a free consultation to discuss your situation with an experienced NYC child injury lawyer.
Why Do I Need a New York Personal Injury Attorney If My Child is Injured?
Kids are vulnerable and may not realize the risks and potential consequences of their actions.
Adults must understand their important role and responsibility in protecting children, whether it involves driving the carpool and not being distracted by a cell phone, watching them play a game of dodgeball and stopping blows to the head, or crossing the street with young children and not allowing them to run ahead.
Although it seems obvious that children must be fairly compensated, this rarely happens without getting the assistance of a qualified NYC personal injury lawyer. Unfortunately, even injuries to children are not immune to aggressive tactics of insurance companies and legal counsels to devalue claims. When an accident occurs, Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. will be there to help you and your family navigate a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
- We will do everything possible so that you can focus on the most important thing, caring for your child and/or focusing on healing.
- While most cases are settled out of court, we will prepare your case for trial so that the insurance companies and opposing sides understand we are extremely serious about the case and claim.
- If a settlement cannot be reached, we will waste no time in taking your case to a compassionate jury.
Our award-winning trial attorneys have more than 40 years of experience exclusively practicing personal injury law. Contact our personal injury law firm in New York City, NY to speak with an experienced and knowledgeable attorney about your case. We will arrange a phone or video consultation at a time that works for you.
What to Do Following an Accident Causing Injury to a Child
If your child has been injured, your first priority should of course be getting them the medical care they need. This will give them the best chance of maximum recovery.
Next, you should preserve evidence from the accident to the extent you can, or ask someone you trust to do it for you. This may include taking photos and videos of the accident scene, and anything else involved, such as a vehicle, playground equipment, toy, etc.
Finally, you should contact our NYC personal injury attorneys for help as soon as you can. Your first consultation is free, so don’t hesitate to reach out to us now.
Types of NYC Child Injury Cases We Handle
Recovering money in a personal injury claim will not reverse the trauma and pain of a preventable accident. However, a personal injury claim can hold a negligent party responsible for their actions and may lead to policy changes and procedures that prevent others from being injured in the future.
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we represent families where children have been seriously injured due to:
- Bicycle accidents
- Car accidents
- Defective products
- Dog bites/animal attacks
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
- Food poisoning
- Medical malpractice/failure to diagnose
- Negligent security
- Negligent supervision
- Physical assault/bullying
- School accidents
- Sexual abuse/child molestation
- Sport accidents
- Swimming pool accidents.
We’ve heard the horror stories: children swallowing pins at daycare, being struck in the head by balls at recess, being hit by a car in a crosswalk, or being injured when a supervising adult turns away.
As children grow, they are vulnerable to different threats and risks. Adults entrusted to care for them or allowed to interact with them, must not allow them to be harmed. Our response to the saying “Kids will be kids,” is “yes, which is exactly why they need supervision and protection.”
Children are also extremely vulnerable to being taken advantage of by their teachers and caretakers. When sexual abuse occurs, perpetrators may face criminal penalties and fines. Their employers may be liable for negligent supervision, negligent hiring, and gross negligence of failing to protect children from harm.
When we begin working on a child injury case, we will start with a thorough and exhaustive investigation to determine why the accident, injury, death, or abuse occurred. We work with some of the best investigators and experts in New York.
Once we identify the who, what, why, when, and how questions, we will pursue compensation from all liable parties, including individuals, corporations, non-profit organizations, municipalities, and government agencies. While you focus on caring for your child and moving forward, we will begin our process of pursuing accountability and justice.
Common Types of Child Injuries
Millions of children suffer accident-related injuries each year. Because they are still growing and developing, injuries can hamper growth. Kids who suffer head injuries may experience mental and intellectual impairments as they grow. Children are vulnerable to many of the same traumas that adults experience in an accident:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken ribs
- Neck injuries
- Burn injuries
- Amputation injuries
- Multiple broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Skull fractures
- Wrongful death
Damages available in a personal injury claim can cover medical expenses, like hospitalization, surgeries, and future therapy, as well as time away from work you must take to care for your child.
If your child suffers a permanent injury or lifelong disability, they may be entitled to compensation for lost future earning capacity they will experience as they grow.
Non-economic damages may also be recovered for physical pain, emotional suffering, and mental anguish. Having an experienced personal injury lawyer is necessary to fully demonstrate the extent of injuries and recover maximum compensation.
Who Can Be Liable for Child Injuries in New York City?
In New York, anyone who causes a child to suffer an injury – whether due to recklessness, intentional actions, or accidental negligence – may be liable and financially responsible for the devastating consequences. Potentially liable parties for a NYC child injury claim could include:
- Babysitters or caretakers
- Teachers and aides
- Schools (public or private)
- Bus drivers
- Property owners
- Dog owners
- Pediatricians/health care providers
- Church leaders / clergy
- Manufacturers of defective products.
Cases involving injured children can be challenging and complex. If a child is very young, it may be difficult to realize the extent of an injury until they are older and delayed development is recognized. With injuries involving older children, kids may be blamed for their own actions.
Types of Liability for Child Injuries in New York
If a child’s injury is due to the negligence of a caretaker, school, or even the manufacturer of a dangerous product, they may be entitled to compensation.
Potential liability for a personal injury or death may include:
- Car accident liability: Children are liable to injury or death as passengers. If your child was injured as a passenger in a car accident, they are almost certainly not responsible. Money may be available for medical care expenses, pain and suffering, and other damages through a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver’s auto insurance policy. Children hit by cars as pedestrians and cyclists may also be entitled to compensation.
- Defective product liability: Product manufacturers have a responsibility to make safe products, whether it is a toy, an item of clothing, or a household appliance. When a child is injured due to a product manufacturer’s negligence, the manufacturer or retail may be strictly liable.
- Caretaker negligence: When you drop off your child at school or daycare, you trust that they will be safe, and under the careful supervision of a qualified adult. Caretakers must make sure children are in a safe environment, and also that children are protected against other children, for example, a game of dodgeball getting too rough.
- Premises liability: If a child is bitten by a dog or involved in a swimming pool accident liability may exist with the property owner or landlord’s insurance. Premises liability may also be a recourse if a child is injured at a park, hotel, or amusement park.
Time is of the essence following an accident. In New York, you only have a limited period of time under a statute of limitations. If a public municipality or government agency is liable, you may have as little as 90 days to file a notice of your claim.
Get Started with a Free Consultation With a New York City Child Injury Lawyer
We want you to be well-assured that you are working with a lawyer who has the knowledge, experience, and skills to get the best possible outcome for your case. Our NYC child injury lawyers have a long record of successful case results in challenging cases.
While we cannot guarantee success in every case, we can offer our contingency fee guarantee. As our client, you will not pay us a dollar – until and unless we recover money for you. If we accept your case, it is because we believe we will be successful. Contact us today to arrange your free consultation.