ROSENBAUM & ROSENBAUM, P.C. | February 28, 2021 | Car Accidents
Were you or a member of your family injured in a motor vehicle accident while passengers in an Uber, Lyft or Via?
Many people in New York and across the nation utilize rideshare services on a daily basis. It’s simple – you pull out your phone, open the app, and a car is there in minutes.
Unfortunately, many New Yorkers have also been seriously injured when the rideshare vehicle they are within is involved in a motor vehicle accident. You are not alone, and we are here to help.
When another persons’ negligence causes you harm, you may have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party or parties. In an instance with an Uber, Lyft or Via driver, it is possible that not only against the driver of the rideshare and any other vehicles involved could be held liable, but the rideshare company as well. You may be able to recover compensation for you or your family members medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering as a result of this accident.
If you’re not sure who’s responsible for your car accident, make sure you have a New York Uber, Lyft, Via accident lawyer on your side. The experienced NYC Uber, Lyft, and Via injury lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. can help you fight to maximize your financial recovery. Give our New York City law office a call to discuss your legal options today. There’s absolutely no charge for your initial case evaluation.
Uber, Lyft and Via Auto Accidents
Uber, Lyft and Via auto accidents tend to happen because the Uber, Lyft or Via driver and/or others on the roadway are negligent or careless. If this has happened to you, you may have the right to demand money for your injuries. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., our experienced Uber, Lyft and Via accident lawyers have extensive experience with all types of motor vehicle crashes, including those involving rideshare companies.
As rideshare apps like Uber, Lyft, and Via become more and more popular, accidents involving drivers for these companies are also significantly increasing. Motor vehicle accidents in Ubers, Lyfts and Vias typically result in similar injuries as other auto accidents, but the cause of these accidents, and who is ultimately responsible for damages, can be rather complicated.
With thousands of Uber, Lyft and Via drivers on the road in NYC at any given time on a daily basis, accidents are bound to happen. While they don’t always involve negligence on behalf of the rideshare driver, when an Uber, Lyft or Via accident results in serious injuries, negligence often plays a role. Some of the most common acts of driver negligence that cause an Uber, Lyft or Via accident include:
- Distracted driving: drivers for these rideshare companies have an even greater risk of distraction than the average person as a result of having to rely heavily on their cellphone app to get notifications about pickups, drop offs, and directions to each and every stop.
- Speeding: as a result of many customers being in a rush to get to an appointment or somewhere by a certain time, or in order to save a few minutes of travel time, it is common for some rideshare app drivers to speed from time to time.
- Stopping in unsafe locations: sometimes, the GPS provided through the rideshare apps instruct drivers to drop passengers off or pick passengers up on a busy or otherwise unsafe area of the roadway. This is especially common in NYC, as the boroughs are very high traffic areas.
- Driver exhaustion: Although Uber, Lyft and Via require drivers to take breaks after a certain period of driving time, drivers can still be behind the wheel for a long time depending on how busy their shift is, sometimes upwards of 12-16 hours. As a result, driver exhaustion is another common cause of Uber, Lyft and Via accidents.
In addition to the common acts above, Uber, Lyft and Via accidents can often be attributed to poor vehicle maintenance, failure to follow traffic laws, defective vehicle parts, poor road conditions, and passenger behavior.
Who is Responsible for my Uber, Lyft, Via Accident?
The cause of auto accidents in an Uber, Lyft and/or Via and who is ultimately responsible for damages can be rather complicated. There are often multiple individuals involved, possibly multiple rideshare companies, and can take some serious investigatory work to determine the appropriate parties to include.
The only way to know who you have a claim against is by discussing the details of your case with an experienced Uber, Lyft and Via auto accident injury lawyer in New York City. You may want to really consider scheduling a free consultation with Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. if you or a member of your family were seriously injured while in an Uber, Lyft or Via.
The fact that you know that you or your family member have suffered a serious injury and/or death as a result of a motor vehicle accident can be traumatic to the individual and the family, and could ultimately leave you left with medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, all of which could severely impact you financially.
There’s no risk in discussing your case and learning about your legal options. Your first case evaluation with our NYC personal injury attorneys is 100% free.
Rideshare Laws in New York
Aside from being bound by the standard rules of the road, drivers for Uber, Lyft, and Via are also bound by different state and city regulations. Rideshare companies in New York State include any person or business that uses a digital network (i.e. a cell phone app) to connects passengers to drivers to schedule trips. These include companies such as Uber, Lyft and Via.
New York City has its own rules for rideshare drivers that classifies Uber, Lyft and Via drivers as taxi drivers for the purposes of regulation. In order to operate as a for-hire/taxi driver, drivers must meet NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) regulations:
- Have a TLC-issued commercial license
- Have a TLC-licensed and eligible vehicle
- Vehicle affiliated with a TLC licensed for-hire base, such as Uber, Lyft or Via
What Do I Do if I’ve Been Injured in an Uber, Lyft or Via Auto Accident?
Ridesharing services can be convenient and a quick way to get around NYC, but after an accident, passengers should take some of the same actions as if they were the driver.
- Give a statement to the police and ask how to receive a copy of the police report;
- Take photos of the vehicles and accident scene;
- Contact your lawyer if you have questions;
- Even if you didn’t ask for medical attention at the time of the accident, see your doctor as soon as you can if you have aches and pains.
The most important things you should do after an Uber, Lyft or Viaaccident are the same as for any type of motor vehicle accident: call the police, seek medical treatment, and/or call a lawyer.
How much is my Uber, Lyft, Via Auto Accident Injury case worth?
Every case is different. The value of each individual case will ultimately depend on several factors, including:
- The severity of injury/ultimate fatality
- You or your family member’s present and future medical expenses
- You or your family member’s lost wages
- You or your family member’s prognosis and what the road to recovery looks like
- The emotional and psychological impact your injury and/or fatality has had on you or your family
Generally speaking, plaintiffs in Rideshare Auto Accident injury lawsuits will be entitled to recover both economic (financial) and non-economic (intangible) damages. This can include the cost of medical care, lost income and wages, emotional distress, mental anguish, and pain and suffering.
In Uber, Lyft and Via accidents, damages can be recovered from the driver(s) involved and/or Uber, Lyft and/or Via themselves. How much you recover and who is responsible for your damages is dependent on the circumstances of the accident. Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. can help you with these determinations and navigate this difficult time. Give our law office a call to discuss your rights today.
Schedule a Free Consultation to discuss your Uber, Lyft, Via Auto Accident Injury Lawsuit
Have you or a family member suffered a serious injury and/or fatality while riding in an Uber, Lyft, Via that was involved in an auto accident? If so, you may have the right to file a lawsuit against the driver(s) involved, as well as against the rideshare company themselves.
Following any type of motor vehicle accident, it is in your best interest to find a lawyer to advise you as to the best course of action. This is especially true of rideshare auto accidents, which often involve multiple parties and can be more complicated to navigate. The NYC Uber, Lyft, Via Injury lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. can help you navigate the process and work to maximize your financial recovery.
We offer a free consultation, so don’t delay in reaching out to our law firm to schedule yours today.