Brooklyn Dog Bite Lawyer
Have you or a loved one recently been bitten by a dog in Brooklyn, NY? Experienced Brooklyn dog bite lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. are here to help. You may be entitled to a substantial monetary award from the dog’s owner or another party, and we will help you fight to maximize your financial recovery.
For years, our award-winning trial attorneys have won tens of millions in settlements and verdicts on behalf of injury victims and families across New York City.
Discover why you’ll want our top-rated legal team in your corner for this fight. We offer a free consultation and are always available to provide the guidance you need – 24/7/365.
How Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. Can Help If You’ve Been Bitten By a Dog in Brooklyn, NY
Dog attacks can be devastating, especially when young children are involved. Injuries can have lifelong consequences, both physically and psychologically. The financial costs can be pretty high, as well. You shouldn’t have to bear the burden of all of this on your own.
Our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers are ready to hold the dog’s owner and any other liable parties accountable for your injuries and suffering.
You take the time you need to focus on getting better while we:
- Investigate the circumstances surrounding the dog attack and bite
- Identify who, other than the dog’s owner, may be financially responsible for your injuries
- Gather evidence, including violations of local safety ordinances and leash laws, photographs, prior complaints or a history of aggressiveness, witness reports, and more
- Consult with respected accident experts and injury specialists
- Defend against claims that you provoked the animal or share responsibility for your injuries
- Negotiate with other parties on your behalf
- Prepare your claim as if it’s going to trial in the event that settlement discussions aren’t successful
There’s no risk in asking for our help if you’ve been bitten or attacked by a dog in Brooklyn, New York. Our law firm works on a contingency fee basis, meeting there’s no upfront cost to get us in your corner. We only get paid if we win your case. End of story.
Contact our law office serving Brooklyn to arrange a time for a free consultation to learn more.
How Common Are Dog Bites in Brooklyn, NY?
Nationwide, there are about 4.7 million dog bites annually. According to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, there were at least 2,921 dog bites reported across the city. Brooklyn saw 646 of these attacks – accounting for 22 percent of the city’s dog bites.
So, the borough of Brooklyn is home to roughly one out of every five dog bites reported in the Big Apple.
What’s My Dog Bite Injury Case Worth?
The value of your dog bite case will depend on many different factors.
Important considerations will include:
- The type of dog that bit you
- Whether that dog has a history of aggression or has attacked other people in the past
- What types of dog bite injuries you’ve suffered
- Whether your injuries can be classified as catastrophic
- Your age at the time you were bitten by the dog
- How your dog bite injuries impact your overall life and well-being
- Whether you are able to continue working at the same level
- Whether you experience a permanent impairment or disability
- Who’s liable for the dog bite injury
- Whether you share fault or blame for your dog bite injury at all
Generally, dog bite injuries resulting in catastrophic trauma tend to be worth the most. The more your life changes after a dog bite, the more money you can expect to recover from those responsible.
Every situation is incredibly unique. The best way to know how much money you may be able to get by filing a dog injury claim is by speaking with an experienced personal injury attorney near you in Brooklyn, New York. Contact Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. to arrange a time for a free consultation today.
We’ll Help You Seek Damages For All of Your Dog Bite Injuries After an Attack in Brooklyn
The physical, emotional, and financial consequences of a dog bite or animal attack in Brooklyn can be devastating. Fortunately, compensation is available to dog bite victims under New York State law.
Typically, you’ll be able to recover money for your economic damages and non-economic damages.
- Medical transportation, hospitalization, and present medical bills
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Medical devices and equipment
- Ongoing medical treatment and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Nursing assistance
- Funeral bills and costs if a dog bite is fatal and results in wrongful death
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Depression and anxiety
- Reduced quality of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
- Chronic physical pain
If there’s evidence that you were the victim of an intentional dog attack or that the defendant displayed a reckless disregard for your safety, then punitive damages may also be available.
Who’s Responsible For My Injuries if I’m Attacked By a Dog In Brooklyn?
Under New York law, anyone who is responsible for a dog or owes you a duty of care while you were on their property could potentially be responsible for dog bite injuries.
This can include:
- Dog owners
- Dog walkers
- Grooming facilities
- Doggy daycare centers
- Property management supervisors
- Property owners
- Government agencies
Many states have what’s called a one-bite rule for dog bite cases. Owners aren’t automatically liable for harm if it’s the first time their animal bites or attacks someone. Liability automatically attaches for all subsequent attacks.
New York takes a unique approach to dog bite liability – it’s kind of a combination of strict liability and negligence.
Under New York’s dog bite law:
- Owners are strictly liable for medical bills and the cost of medical treatment if their dog attacks anyone. This is true, regardless of the dog’s past or history of aggression. Liability attaches even if it’s the dog’s first bite.
- Owners are responsible for additional damages – including lost wages and pain and suffering – if they had knowledge or should have known about a dog’s aggressive tendencies.
So, owners are strictly liable for medical bills, regardless of a dog’s history. Owners can be liable in a negligence action if they knew or should have known the dog had a history of vicious behavior.
Dog Bites Can Leave Victims Struggling With Catastrophic, Fatal Injuries
Dog attacks, especially in young children, can change the course of a person’s life forever. Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. understands that this is your one opportunity to pursue and recover compensation that can help tackle the tough road ahead.
Don’t hesitate to contact our Brooklyn dog bite attorneys if you or your child has suffered:
- Soft tissue damage
- Internal damage and bleeding
- Broken bones and fractures
- Eye injury
- Trauma to the face
- Vision loss
- Hearing loss
- Crushing injury
- Nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neck injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Complete or partial amputation
- Wrongful death or other severe trauma.
Make it a point to seek medical treatment immediately after you or a loved one is bitten by a dog in Brooklyn. Prompt care will help to limit the risk of complications and keep you safe.
In addition to mitigating your injuries, you’ll also establish an important link between the dog attack and your trauma. This can be a critical piece of evidence if you decide to file a claim or a lawsuit for damages.
Is There a Time Limit on Filing a New York Dog Bite Lawsuit?
In New York, there is typically a three-year time limit that applies to dog bite lawsuits. You’ll have just two years to file a claim if a family member is killed in a fatal dog attack in Brooklyn.
Children who suffered dog bite injuries can toll this statute of limitations until they are 18. This will give young victims until their 21st birthday to file a claim, as long as a parent or guardian hasn’t already filed one on their behalf.
It’s important not to let time run out. Once the deadline applies to your case expires, so does your right to file a claim and pursue compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Brooklyn Dog Bite Lawyer
Dog owners have a responsibility to care for their animals and protect you from foreseeable attacks. Property owners owe you a duty of care if you are lawfully on their premises. Stand up and assert your rights if you or a family member or bitten by a dog in Brooklyn.
Better yet, turn to Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., and have our experienced Brooklyn dog bite lawyers fight for you. We will put decades of legal experience behind your pursuit of compensation and work to get you the best possible results in your dog bite injury case.
We’ve helped clients win tens of millions in life-changing awards. Now it’s your time to get the financial justice you deserve. Give our law office serving Brooklyn a call or reach out to us online to arrange a time for your free case evaluation.