Scaffolding Accidents in Brooklyn, NY
Were you or a loved one injured in a scaffolding accident? Scaffolding accidents in Brooklyn, NY often happen because someone was negligent.
An experienced Brooklyn construction accident lawyer at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. can help you fight to recover fair compensation for your losses–whether you were hurt on the job or walking down the street.
You may be entitled to benefits under New York workers’ compensation and personal injury laws. Contact our law offices in Brooklyn, New York, to schedule a free consultation to learn more.
How Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. Can Help After a Construction Accident in Brooklyn, NY
It isn’t always easy to get the money you deserve after a construction accident. Multiple parties may be involved–and it’s common for each party to point the finger at someone else.
Our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. have the experience to help you get the full compensation you deserve.
We can help by:
- Investigating to determine who caused the accident
- Exploring all of your options for recovering compensation
- Defending you if you’re blamed for the accident
- Handling your workers’ compensation claim
- Negotiating with the insurance companies to maximize your compensation
Our Brooklyn construction accident attorneys have over 40 years of experience fighting for injured clients. We’ve already recovered tens of millions of dollars in meaningful financial awards for accident victims across NYC.
It’s easy to learn more. Just call for a free case review today.
Overview of Scaffolding Accidents
Scaffolding is common in all Brooklyn construction sites. Scaffolding is a temporary structure that is erected to allow workers to work above the ground level.
Most of the time, scaffolding is perfectly safe. However, scaffolding structures can be complex. Scaffolding can become dangerous if someone ignores important safety precautions.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Scaffolding Accidents in Brooklyn?
Many different factors can contribute to a scaffolding accident. To recover fair compensation, you’ll first have to identify the cause of your accident.
Some of the leading causes of scaffolding accidents include:
- Lack of proper fall protection equipment
- Improperly installed scaffolding, including failure to install guardrails or firmly affix all of the scaffolding attachment points
- Defects in the scaffolding, such as a lack of necessary bracing or steel tubing that is compromised
- Weak planking, which can cause slip and fall accidents
- Failure to properly maintain the scaffolding
- Failure to protect workers from falling objects
- Communications failures
- Violation of state and federal safety regulations
- Failure to properly train and supervise workers
- Ignoring weight restrictions and overloading the scaffolding
- Poor weather conditions
To learn more about your options, call our Brooklyn personal injury law firm to schedule a free case review.
How Will New York Labor Laws Impact My Scaffolding Accident Claim?
New York labor laws are designed to protect construction workers. The law acknowledges the risks associated with scaffolding and specifically regulates how scaffolding should be designed and erected.
Property owners and general contractors who violate New York Labor Code Section 240 can be held strictly liable for scaffolding accident injuries.
Owners and contractors are required to:
- Provide workers with all proper safety equipment
- Make sure the scaffolding is properly installed
Most specific rules apply to scaffolding that is more than 20 feet from the ground, suspended from overhead, or erected with stationary supports. These types of scaffolding must have a safety rail that rises at least 34 inches above the scaffolding floor. The scaffolding must be fastened to prevent it from swaying from the building or structure.
The New York strict liability rule applies in accident cases involving:
- Other similar devices
Do you need help getting the fair compensation you deserve? Call our Brooklyn scaffolding accident attorneys at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. for a free initial consultation today.
We’ll Fight to Recover Fair Compensation for All of Your Scaffolding Accident Injuries
Our lawyers in Brooklyn often represent scaffolding accident victims who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Other head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Crushing injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Fractures and joint injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
These injuries can be severe. You can count on us to fight for every dollar you deserve. Just give our lawyers in Brooklyn a quick call today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Scaffolding Accident Victims?
In Brooklyn, injured workers have two primary options for recovering compensation: filing a workers’ compensation claim or filing a personal injury lawsuit.
New York Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Workers’ compensation in New York provides compensation for:
- All reasonable and necessary medical expenses
- About ⅔ of your average weekly wages prior to the accident
- Survivor benefits for the families of fatal scaffolding accidents
All of your medical expenses are covered by workers’ comp. However, you’ll only receive cash benefits if you’re unable to work for at least seven days, or if your pay is reduced because of the injury.
In exchange for these benefits, you forfeit your right to sue your employer for additional damages.
Third-Party Claims Process
It’s possible that someone other than your employer was responsible for the accident. Third parties aren’t immune from personal injury lawsuits.
Examples of third parties who may be responsible include:
- A company hired to erect the scaffolding
- Maintenance companies
- Third-party vendors
- Manufacturers of defective scaffolding components
You can file a personal injury lawsuit for additional damages against a responsible third party. These lawsuits are called third-party claims.
If you’re eligible to file a third-party claim, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical bills not covered by workers’ comp
- Your full lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
After a scaffolding accident, it’s important to understand your legal rights. You may be entitled to significant compensation if you were injured in a construction site accident.
Call Today to Learn More About Scaffolding Accidents in Brooklyn, NY
If you were injured in a scaffolding accident, it’s important to take legal action quickly. Call Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. to learn more about establishing liability for scaffolding accidents in Brookly, NY, today.