At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we believe in utilizing our decades of combined experience to help answer the full range of questions New Yorkers have concerning injuries sustained in accidents involving trucks.
Q: What steps should I take right away if I am involved in an accident with a truck?
A: First and foremost, you need to take immediate care of life-threatening injuries for anyone involved in the accident, including passengers and other drivers. Immediately call 911 and get first responders on their way to the accident site. Then begin recording as much information as possible, including the date, time and exact location of the accident. You will also want to take additional steps, including:
- Take as many photos of the wreckage as possible with your cellphone’s camera.
- File an official accident report with the police once they arrive.
- Contact an experienced attorney and set up a date for a free initial consultation.
- Reach out to your insurance company and provide initial information.
- Schedule a full medical examination from a licensed physician.
Q: What types of compensation am I entitled to receive after sustaining injuries in an accident with a truck?
A: If injured in an accident with a delivery truck or commercial truck, you may be entitled to receive some or all of the following types of compensation depending on the circumstances of your case:
- Pain and suffering
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Loss of quality of life and more
Q: Which factors play a role in determining the amount and type of compensation I may receive?
A: Accidents involving commercial trucks are complex and require significant investigation and accident reconstruction techniques to assess fault and determine the appropriate level of compensation. Some of the following factors will likely play a role:
- Who is at fault for the accident?
- Was the truck driver distracted, intoxicated or exhausted?
- Severity and type of injuries you sustained
- Cause of the accident
- Negligence on any party’s behalf
Q: What qualities should I seek in a truck accident attorney?
A: The right lawyer can make all of the difference in the world for your case. It is a smart idea to choose an attorney with intimate knowledge of the laws and regulations concerning the operation of a commercial truck. Also, you need to seek a team with a proven track record of success and a strong desire to fight for maximum compensation for clients.