Motor Vehicle Accident & Injury FAQ

Q: What Should I Do If I’m Involved In A Car Accident?

A: If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, the first step is to call an ambulance if anyone was injured in the accident. Next, call the police to the scene and be sure they take and file a full accident report. In addition, if you are able to, it is a good idea to take pictures of the scene of the accident, the vehicles involved as well as any injuries you sustained. Never leave the scene of an accident as this could result in criminal charges against you. In addition, while being questioned by the police, never admit liability. This will be investigated later through the litigation process. Lastly, if there are witnesses to the accident, be sure to get their names and contact information.

Q: Should I Contact My Insurance Company Following The Accident?

A: Yes, you should report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. In New York state, you must report an accident within 30 days of the date of the accident in order to receive no-fault benefits. After reporting your accident, a claim number will be generated, and you will be given the contact information of the insurance adjustor assigned to your claim. Avoid making statements to your insurance company regarding who was at fault for the accident. Do not agree to a recorded statement if they ask. Although you should comply with your own insurance company, you should not agree to a recorded statement until speaking with an attorney.

Q: Who Will Pay For My Medical Bills If I’m Injured?

A: Under New York state Law, you are entitled to no-fault benefits that are paid by your insurance company. No-fault benefits are responsible for paying your medical bills related to the accident. In New York state, the benefits total $50,000 unless you had purchased additional no-fault insurance coverage added to your policy. In addition to paying for medical treatment, no-fault benefits include lost wages up to $2,000 a month as well as, in some cases, mileage and travel to and from your doctors’ office. As discussed above, in order to receive no-fault benefits you must report the accident to your insurance company within 30 days from the date of accident.

Q: When Should I Get An Attorney And How Much Will It Cost Me?

A: You should contact an attorney immediately following the accident. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we are committed to providing quality an affordable legal representation to those in need. At our firm, we offer a free initial consultation to discuss the accident, basis of your claim, what to expect and what you may be entitled to receive. Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., operates on a contingency basis. You pay no fee to your attorney unless we have been successful in settling your case or obtaining a successful verdict.

Q: How Long Do I Have To Start A Lawsuit Following My Accident?

A: Each state sets their own time limitations for bringing a personal injury claim. In New York state, you generally have three years to file a lawsuit for a motor vehicle accident, however there are different statutes for different claims that can vary depending on a number of factors and circumstances surrounding the accident. This is why it is imperative you contact an attorney immediately following the accident to be sure your claim is filed within the applicable statues of limitations.