Queens Slip & Fall Accident Lawyer
Have you been injured in a slip and fall accident in Queens? When you are injured on a private or public property, you may be entitled to compensation from the individual, company, or government agency that owns or maintains the property. While compensation can be significant, it is not automatic.
After you are injured, a Queens slip and fall accident lawyer can help you protect your rights and recover fair compensation.
Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. has been helping people injured in Queens for more than 40 years. We are proud of our track record and case results.
The knowledge, skills, and experience we bring to every case, allows us to obtain the best results for our clients. Call us at 212-828-4834 to discuss your case.
Table of Contents
How a Queens Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Can Help With Your Case
Many people hesitate to reach out to a Queens personal injury attorney immediately following a serious slip and fall accident because they want to put the event behind them. Insurance companies know this and often will offer a compensation amount that they believe will be just enough for you to take.
However, a small settlement is a potentially a short-term solution to a long-term problem. There are many benefits to hiring Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. for your Queens slip and fall accident case:
- We will pursue compensation from all liable parties
- We will protect you from aggressive insurance company tactics
- We will fully demonstrate damages to maximize the value of your case
- We will defend your liability and insurance companies’ attempts to shift blame to you.
Compensation in a personal injury claim should be based on your injuries, the medical care you need, and how your injuries will affect you going forward. After an accident, a skilled lawyer can help you recover the maximum compensation you are entitled to – far more than the insurance company will offer if you do not have a lawyer.
Your claim for damages may include:
- Medical care expenses
- Future medical care costs
- Lost earnings and compensation you would have earned if you hadn’t been injured
- Loss of your earning capacity
- Physical or occupational therapy
- Physical pain and emotional suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress and anxiety
- Wrongful death.
If you have been injured in an accident on another person’s property or at a business, airport, public property, or school, contact us immediately to discuss your rights. Our personal injury lawyers in Queens will review the circumstances of your accident, answer your questions, and provide advice and support. If we represent you, we will do everything we can to recover the maximum compensation available.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Slip and fall accidents or trip and fall accidents often result in injuries that are far greater than bumps and bruises. Accidents may cause long-lasting pain, and in some cases, temporary or permanent disability.
Our Queens slip and fall accident lawyers handle all types of accident claims, including accidents involving:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Facial fractures
- FOOSH (‘Fallen Onto an Outstretched Hand’) injuries
- Bimalleolar and trimalleolar ankle fractures
- Electrocution injuries
- Knee sprain, torn meniscus, and torn ACL injuries
- Shoulder dislocation injuries
- Sprains and strains
- Burn injuries.
If injuries are not permanent, recovery can take weeks or months, during which time a person may be unable to work or go to school. This can cause immense financial strain on individuals and their families.
Slip and Falls at John F. Kennedy (JFK) International Airport and LaGuardia Airport
Both John F. Kennedy (JFK) International Airport and LaGuardia Airport are located in Queens. In 2018, JFK airport was ranked the 6th busiest airport in the United States, and LaGuardia Airport was ranked the 21st busiest airport in the Unites States.
Both of these airports see millions of people each year, who, statistically, are much more likely to be injured in an airport terminal environment than in an actual aviation accident.
Airports are unfamiliar environments and people are often rushing through areas with heavy and bulky bags. Along with falls, elevator and escalator accidents are common occurrences at airports. When dangerous conditions are not fixed, they can cause serious injuries.
If you or someone you love has been hurt in a Queens slip and fall accident at an airport, contact us to discuss your potential case and legal rights.
Slip and Fall Accidents – Who is Liable?
Of course, not every fall accident causing injury on public property is a viable personal injury claim. If you were not paying attention and walked into an obvious hazard, you likely will not be successful in a claim.
Below are a few examples of situations where a property or business owner could be liable for someone’s injury:
- Someone speaking at a conference trips over an extension cord and fractures their ankle.
- A person delivering flowers trips on a broken stair at an apartment building and fractures their wrist. The tenant had previously notified the landlord about the condition, but nothing was done.
- A corridor on a college campus is poorly lit, and bulbs are not replaced after they burn out, causing a student to trip and fall in a stairwell.
- A grocery store has a defective refrigerator case that causes puddling. An elderly person slips in the puddle, breaking their hip. The store has the policy to conduct regular safety inspections and “sweep logs,” but does not keep up with it.
“Premises liability” is the area of law that holds business and property owners accountable for injuries due to unsafe conditions. Every case is different, and even if you have a severe injury, liability may not be clear. At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we employ our extensive knowledge of New York Law and lengthy history handling slip and fall accident cases to help our clients obtain the best possible settlement or verdict.
Premises Liability Liability Covers More Than Just Slips and Trips
Slip and fall accident liability is part of an area of law called premises liability, which involves any dangerous condition which results in injury or death. Beyond slippery conditions and tripping hazards that cause slip and falls, premises liability also includes:
- Ceiling collapses
- Balcony or deck collapses
- Falling items from big box stores
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Fire and smoke alarm failures
- Playground accidents
- Negligent security
- Elevator and escalator accidents
- Gym accidents.
In New York, property owners are responsible for keeping properties safe for visitors and guests. If they know or are made aware of an issue, and they fail to correct it, they could be liable for resulting injuries or deaths.
What to Do Following a Slip and Fall Accident in Queens
Following an accident, you can take certain steps to protect your legal rights and the value of your potential claim. Our premises liability lawyers recommend you take the following actions and contact us as soon as possible:
- Visit an emergency room or urgent care to get medical treatment. Tell the treating care provider exactly where, when, and how you were injured.
- Take photographs of your injuries and the location of your accident.
- Obtain security camera footage of the incident, if available
- Preserve any receipts related to your accident or injury (for example, your admissions ticket if you were injured at a baseball stadium)
- File an incident report with the property manager, before you leave the location, or as soon as possible.
- Do not sign any agreements or waivers after an accident.
- Record and document everything you remember about an accident. A quick way to do this is to take a voice memo (or video) in your phone, noting everything about the accident, including what you were doing before, what led to your injuries, and everything you remember.
Acting quickly after an accident, especially in getting medical care, is necessary to present a strong case. A skilled Queens personal injury lawyer can help you obtain evidence and build up your case. If you reach out to a lawyer quickly following an accident, they can begin advocating for your rights while you focus on your healing and recovery.
Slip and Fall Accidents Involving Older Adults
Queens has the second-largest older adult population of any county in New York, with more than 353,000 residents age 65 or older.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has provided the following statistics about older adult fall accidents in the United States:
- Three million older adults visit emergency rooms each year for fall injuries.
- Three hundred thousand older adults are hospitalized each year for hip fractures.
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries in older adults
- If you are an older adult (65 or older), falling one time doubles your chances of falling again.
Property owners are not immune from keeping a property safe, simply because someone is more vulnerable to a fall. If you or an older adult loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident in Queens, contact us to discuss your options and rights.
Get a Free Consultation for your Queens Slip and Fall Accident Case
Serious injuries can change your life forever. However, slip and fall accidents are notoriously challenging legal claims. Insurance companies generally demand a high level of proof and have the resources to vigorously defend a claim, and will even place blame on the victim.
At Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C., we have successfully handled some of the most challenging personal injury and wrongful death cases, including cases that other attorneys have turned away. We understand insurance companies’ strategies, and our approach to each case is based on preserving evidence and maximizing value.
If you would like to know more about your rights in a premises liability claim, contact our Queens slip and fall accident lawyers for a free case evaluation. If we represent you, we will not charge any legal fees unless we recover money for you. We are available to speak with you about your case seven days a week, so do not delay contacting us.