Craig Rosenbaum | September 27, 2017 | Workplace Injuries
In New York, an average 209,400 workers annually suffer workplace injuries and illnesses, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. These incidents represent total cases for the state in 2015, the most recent year for which this information is available.
These injuries represent 8 percent of the entire state’s workforce and include all injuries for which employees missed days at work. Add to that number 236 deaths from workplace injuries, and the statistics are even more sobering. Minor injuries that do not require time off nor a doctor’s attention are not reported.
Arbill safety consultants give this national breakdown of the top six workplace injuries and their causes.
- Overexertion: The top cause of injuries involves physical exertion while lifting, carrying, pulling, pushing and similar activities.
- Slipping and tripping: Wet floors and objects that are out of place can cause someone to trip and fall.
- Falling from heights: Workers can sustain this injury while in a stairwell or on roofs and ladders.
- Reaction injuries: Tripping over an object or slipping in something on the floor can result in muscle strains and other injuries, even when someone does not fall.
- Falling objects: Falling objects that slip from high shelves or that others accidentally drop can cause serious head injuries.
- Walking into objects: Injuries can occur when a worker walks into walls, cabinets, tables and more, resulting in head, knee and foot injuries.
The U.S. government’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has strict safety procedures for businesses of all types. These procedures regulate the safe use of everything from cleaning solvents to heavy machinery to keep workers safe. However, not all businesses are vigilant about following them.
Contact Our Personal Injury Law Firm in New York City
If you’ve been injured in an accident in Manhattan, NY, and need legal help, contact our New York City personal injury lawyers at Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C. to schedule a free consultation.
Rosenbaum & Rosenbaum, P.C.
100 Wall St 15th Floor
New York, NY 10005